Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 05 sportsman 700 efi. It has no spark. The guy I bought it from replaced everything but the stator. As I am going through the wiring I noticed to cut wires going to the coil and have no ideal where they go.theres a 3 pin connector that s plugged in a green and white dot, a red and black dot, and yellow and brown dot. Then there's a bare wire that s cut and a red wire that s cut. That s the 1st pic. On the other side of the harness the red wire is cut again and the bare wire is connected to a ground. Does anybody know where the red wire should be shocked into on both side?. Or have a wiring diagram they can share with me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Any idea what component the wires go to come from??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I can't find another cut wire the red wire that comes out the back side looks like it should hook into should hook into a group of red wires that go into the ecu.

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Yeah it's funny how it's wired but if you look closer at the side with no wires, there's a "bridge" in there that feeds the circuit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I seen that after a closer look it was bridged. I just don't know where those 2 wires go. I seen on older post guys had the same thing but they didn't get an answer. I guess I'll have to buy a service manual for it.

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Hold on before you buy a manual. There are guys on here that have e-manuals that will send it to you. Hold out a bit one of the guys will hook you up. In the meantime I'll do some looking around as will others to help identify those wires.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roger that. Thanks for the help. I also replaced plugs and cleaned all grounds and connectors today while messing with it.

·
Premium Member
7,402 Posts
Ok so I did some looking around and as crazy as this sounds I don't think the "cut" wires do anything. Well partially the cut bare wire is from what I gather a "drain" which filters out RF (radio frequency) aka cross talk or technically inductance. I've seen Polaris do some head scratching wiring deals and I'm partial to thinking this is one of those times. BUT we either need someone that knows exactly or the wiring diagram(s)!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes a wiring diagram would be great. But thanks again for the help. I am surfing around to find one but can't find one for the 05

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tested voyage on the coil today. I have power going into the coil. The coil is brand new. I pulled the plug wires and they are in bad shape. The left side is almost worn through. Going to change them out for new. Not sure if that is what the problem is.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
There is your problem! There is not supposed to be any power to the coil. The coil gets an approximate 100v discharge from a capacitor when spark is called for. You can only measure the voltage to the coil with a peak voltage tester or an oscilloscope.

What kind of power reading do you get? If it's 12vdc, the ECU is probably faulty.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a new ece. It shows about 4volts on all 3 wires with the key on. The old ecu shows 0volts with the key and still now spark

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tested the stator and got .01 ohms on all 3 yellow wires. I am going to order a new one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Your stator is only for charging, not ignition. You'll be wasting money if you don't need it. The pickup coil, which should be nearby is for ignition timing.

If you have power on one side of a fuse, but not the other, the fuse is either blown, or corroded and not making continuity.

Had to go grab my notebook - getting old sucks ... Check for AC voltage at each of the 3 yellow leads at idle - just back probe the connector with a pin, preferably a T-pin. At idle, you should see 15-25 VAC - if so, you're charging system is fine, and you DO NOT need a stator.

To clarify, check from wires 1-2, 1-3, then 2-3. Any one of those should have NO continuity to ground on the ohms setting of your meter as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the tps wasn't working would that make me loose spark. The one that's in it looks like it got hot and melted some

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well u have changed everything but the ecu. I am having a hard time finding a replacement for it. Can anybody tell me what years are compatible with the 05?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got spark back today. I have a bad connection somewhere in the wiring harness. All i did was open up all yhe wire protectors. Been going through every wire to find the bad one. Going to be a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got it started and the bad wiring fixed. Now I believe I have a bad injector. The right cylinder fills up with gas and runs out the small exhaust leak I have. Smokes real bad and stinks of gas. Correct me if i am wrong that s a injector sticking wide open. I switched injectors and it does it on the other side.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts