Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my dads bike (first time working on polaris, I own a Canam) and he is having a problem with difficult shifting and creeping at idle. In Canam's, this problem is usually caused by the one-way bearing needing to be replaced/greased. How is it replacing the one-way in these machines (if this is even the problem)?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Could very likely be the problem. Does it shift easily when the engine is not running? If so, check to make sure idle is set properly and look at the clutches while idling to see if the secondary is turning at idle in park or neutral. Does the machine try to creep in gear? They are not as easy to change as the can am as the primary is screwed together instead of pressed together. Need a few special tools to do the work.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
11,130 Posts
Remove the belt and you can reach in with your fingers and check the one-way bearing to see if it works. Often times, the creeping and shifting problems you describe are nothing more than the belt not being aligned properly. May need shims added or removed from behind the secondary clutch or the front motor mount may be broken or needing adjustment.
Check the easy stuff first.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If your sure he has an EBS clutch , then yes a stuck bearing will cause that issue. One of the few times I was ever at the Polaris dealership, I asked about that bearing and the tech said they have never replaced one. He told me if I had it apart ,to use real light grease on the rollers and put it back on.
Like was already mentioned, check the belt alignment and run the engine at idle with the clutch cover off. Rev the engine too and watch what the belt does. If the belt wants to turn at idle, you have a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts