Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fan works perfectly
new thermostat
radiator is hot
air blowing against motor from fan is warm
coolant appears to be cycling
tested out radiator cap from a 2005 polaris sportsman 400, no difference in overheating, they are the same cap as far as i know
trouble code 45 (barometric sensor circuit low input)
hot light comes on and coolant almost simultaneously begins spewing out of res cap
gets hot at varying times, but usually within 5-15 minutes of riding from a cold start
once it overheats, i shut off motor, with fan running for a few minutes, then start it and let it idle for a half a minute to cycle the coolant, this seems to work after a couple minutes and i can ride it about another 1/4 mile before it starts spewing again
engine runs smoothly
i did wash some excess mud off of radiator, front and back, but it may not be perfectly clean
no smoke from exhaust, and no apparent leaking from heads...

ok guys, help me out here

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If you say everything is cycling properly, the only suggestion I can give is to make sure all the mud/dirt is out of the radiator. If you ride mud, they get caked up towards the top and is difficult to get all of it out. I use a pressure washer on mine after every ride. Just make sure you don't use too much pressure and destroy the fins.

·
13,769 Posts
Yep, you got a radiator clogged up. You may have to remove the fan (only 4 bolts) to get into the back of the radiator with a water hose and spray all around the sides, top and bottom.....repeat till the water comes clear out the front.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
i did wash some excess mud off of radiator, front and back, but it may not be perfectly clean
I believe what LC and Pol are saying. I know a few people, myself included, who have had to remove the radiator and soak it overnight to get all of the mud out of it before it would stop overheating. If you haven't cleaned under the fan corners, that's about 20% of your radiator.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am a nevous person about using a chemical flush, however I do make an excpetion whenever I take a radiator off. I always use purple power on the fins, and then cap the nipples and add prestone or whatever you favortite flush is and let sit overnight. Shaking aggressivly every now and then.

Wash out with water so the flush does not go into the engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys, thanks for your input, im always willing to take the cheap/free route when troubleshooting, even if it means gettin my lazy ass in the tool box and tearing apart the front end of my popo.

at any rate, i went ahead and pulled the radiator out, and what do ya know? it was FULL of mud, apparently when i ''cleaned'' it, i only got a few tiny spots clean. anyway, i put it all back together and test drove it with no problems. ill give it one more go when the rain stops.

thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
32 Posts
I once had a sandwich of dirt on an international 4700 466 inline 6 diesel. The radiator, intercooler, ac condensor was nothing more than a blanket of dirt and oil film. The power & cooling after this was all cleaned was like driving a whole new truck.

The bad part is that it connot be cleaned when assembled. It must all be taken out and cleaned by hand. What a bummer.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
You're not alone in this, it's the price we have to pay for a shitty design. At least they finally got smart in 2011 and raised the rad. up and put the winch down. I keep a spray bottle in my front box now after overheating a few times.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just to give you guys some helpful advice, i considered relocating the radiator, but what a pain in the ass that would be thanks to polaris's 'wonderful' drybox. so here's what i did instead. i unscrewed the rock screen from the mud screen in front of the rad. then i cut the grommets out (because, quite frankly, thats the only way they will come out) i did all 4 but in hindsight you can just do the bottom two. i then selftap- screwed the top of the mudscreen back onto the frame for the purpose of easy removal (im about to tell you why that part wasnt necessary so you dont have to mess with the top) and then screwed the rock screen back into the top grommet guts that were left behind in the mudscreen. i tried to do the same thing to the bottom but there just wasnt enough meat left in the frame to get a decent screw hole in, so what i ended up doing was making a couple new holes in the mudscreen and hooking a tiny bungee (i mean like a 3/8'' wide and 7 or 8'' long) to the new holes and threading it around that little bar in the middle thats under the screens. i then screwed the rock screen back into the grommets in the mudscreen, and now when i want to wash out my radiator, i simply pull the bottom out like a flap, and have enough room to wash out the radiator perfectly! when i let go, the bungee snaps it back into place. i'll post pics if you guys want a better visual

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Sorry, but there is a much easier way. That hole screen just pulls off. That is why the rubber grommets are there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
uhh yeah, the grommets on mine are at least half an inch bigger in diameter than the holes they are in, so yeah, just "pulling them off" as you stated, aint happenin cap'n. hence why i cut the flanges off and screwed the top in and bungeed the bottom in. much easier to remove now.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Correct. The rubber grommets are supposed to be bigger than the holes they go in. They are supposed to stay in the holes and just your screen pulls off. There is a tab in each corner of the screen (4), that just push into the grommets.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
have you actually managed to remove this thing in reality? yeah i aint messin with that when im at the mud park and my popo is heatin up, no thanks. i just hop off, pull on the bottom, wash, and let go :)

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Yes. I go to many mud events all throughout texas, louisiana, and mississippi. I remove it every morning after a day/night ride, and wash it out. Takes 5 minutes. Don't want to worry about overheating instead of having fun. I am not saying your method doesn't work for you. I am glad that it does. I am just putting the information out there that others do not to cut up their ATV and have it held together with a bungy strap for no reason, other than not knowing. The first time I overheated, I was at River Run and took the whole front end off the ATV because I did not know that the screen just popped off. The person camping next to me came over to see what had happened and to offer a hand. I told him what was i was doing and why, and then he showed me. Felt like an idiot, but one of the best tips I had ever recieved.

·
Registered
151 Posts
just to give you guys some helpful advice, i considered relocating the radiator, but what a pain in the ass that would be thanks to polaris's 'wonderful' drybox. so here's what i did instead. i unscrewed the rock screen from the mud screen in front of the rad. then i cut the grommets out (because, quite frankly, thats the only way they will come out) i did all 4 but in hindsight you can just do the bottom two. i then selftap- screwed the top of the mudscreen back onto the frame for the purpose of easy removal (im about to tell you why that part wasnt necessary so you dont have to mess with the top) and then screwed the rock screen back into the top grommet guts that were left behind in the mudscreen. i tried to do the same thing to the bottom but there just wasnt enough meat left in the frame to get a decent screw hole in, so what i ended up doing was making a couple new holes in the mudscreen and hooking a tiny bungee (i mean like a 3/8'' wide and 7 or 8'' long) to the new holes and threading it around that little bar in the middle thats under the screens. i then screwed the rock screen back into the grommets in the mudscreen, and now when i want to wash out my radiator, i simply pull the bottom out like a flap, and have enough room to wash out the radiator perfectly! when i let go, the bungee snaps it back into place. i'll post pics if you guys want a better visual

post a few pics, im trying to visualize this.

thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ask and ye shall receive

the beauty of it lies in the fact that it still functions exactly like stock, and now when i want to wash my radiator out i have unrestrcited access to it with a simply pull on the bottom, and when im done, i let go and it shuts itself back to stock form.

my laziness being coupled with ingenuity is the only reason ive survived this long in life

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts