Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 sportman 800 that the exhaust boke half way back. Literally snapped in half with no rust. Polaris says the header is now a flexible 2 peice header. It is 525 witch is crazy expensive. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternate? I have heard of guys welding it and it just breaks again. Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm up for welding but I'm also curious does anyone know if the 07 header and pipe would fit on the 05. I have a buddy thats selling his factory 07 pipes for cheap.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
05 and 06 are the same - 07 might work as long as you use the 07 muffler also, but I cannot guarantee it - you might be the firs to find out

·
9,470 Posts
The 2007 two-piece pipe IS the upgrade for the older models and the mufflers are the same. Polaris used to sell the newer exhaust in a repair kit to upgrade the 2005 and 2006 to the 2007 configuration. It consisted of the two-piece pipes, gaskets, springs, new hardware and I think the new style heat shields were included. It was only about $230 IIRC but that was a few years ago when I did my 2006.
I've still got the oem parts in the kit box at the garage. I'll try to get you a part number for the kit when I get back there this afternoon and let you know what I've got.

·
9,470 Posts
Ok Tony, got a chance to dig around in my old parts storage and the kit is part number 287216. Here's a pic of the instructions. I don't know if its still available though. I'd forgotten that I actually have a 2007 two-piece exhaust that has had a little crack welded down where the bend turns toward the rear. I'll include a pic of it too. If you want to pay for packaging and shipping I'll send it to you. It ain't pretty but should work fine. You could sand and paint with some high temp exhaust paint and you'd then only need hardware, springs, gaskets and the 2007 heatshields to put you back in business.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok Tony, got a chance to dig around in my old parts storage and the kit is part number 287216. Here's a pic of the instructions. I don't know if its still available though. I'd forgotten that I actually have a 2007 two-piece exhaust that has had a little crack welded down where the bend turns toward the rear. I'll include a pic of it too. If you want to pay for packaging and shipping I'll send it to you. It ain't pretty but should work fine. You could sand and paint with some high temp exhaust paint and you'd then only need hardware, springs, gaskets and the 2007 heatshields to put you back in business.
View attachment 136829

View attachment 136830

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok Tony, got a chance to dig around in my old parts storage and the kit is part number 287216. Here's a pic of the instructions. I don't know if its still available though. I'd forgotten that I actually have a 2007 two-piece exhaust that has had a little crack welded down where the bend turns toward the rear. I'll include a pic of it too. If you want to pay for packaging and shipping I'll send it to you. It ain't pretty but should work fine. You could sand and paint with some high temp exhaust paint and you'd then only need hardware, springs, gaskets

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How may I proceed to purchase this from you? Would pay a couple hundred if you could ship it.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
polman500 ,, I did the same thing a week ago, I payed it forward and sent a fellow Forum member a box of LED light bulbs I had and not using for his project, for just the shipping........ It really felt good to help someone out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts