Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 30 seconds of idling, it shuts off. When it does, there is no power to anything. No lights, everything is dead just like the battery has been taken out of it. Leave it set for a couple of minutes, and it'll fire right back up. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, Ron

·
Premium Member
9,726 Posts
check the battery cables are good and tight. test the battery voltage, should be between 12.6-13vdc. then test the battery voltage with the machine running @3,000rpm, should read 13.5vdc-14.5vdc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the battery - 12.4 vdc. Running @ 3000 rpm, I get 13.8. I cleaned the terminals, put it back together and it still does the same thing. Shuts down after idling about 30 seconds, and then no juice for a couple of minutes.

·
Premium Member
9,726 Posts
Ok so you charging system seems to be in order. Thats good cause low electrical output will cause a bunch of different problems. I would chk fuel pressure next. Needs to be tested at the fuel rail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It made no sense to me what fuel pressure would have to do with the quad shutting off, and then no electrical power to it whatsoever. therefore, I didn't check it. Whatever was wrong with it, it quit doing it. I can leave it idle with no problerms, I just wonder if it was just from sitting and not being used. Odd, these things don't heal themselves but this seemed to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
anyways, thanks bp405 for the assist. Your help enlightened me to the headaches I may to look forward too.

·
Premium Member
9,726 Posts
Glad it worked out!! I didn't realize it was a loss of all electric as you were correct the fuel pump wouldn't be part of the diagnostics at that point. Well when these types of things work themselves out I just shrug it off as a glitch in the matrix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts