Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05 sportsman charged battery( brand new )battery dies a couple hrs after riding. any suggestions thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no lights,no extra acceseries even un hooked my winch. acts like the wheeler is not charging the batt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem with my 04. My battery light would flash while riding. If you have access to a volt meter check your voltage at the battery with the quad running. It should be over 12v, you may have to rev the engine to get the higher voltage. If you don't have the higher voltage check it at the regulator. Mine is mounted in the very front of the cowl. You can unplug the output and check the voltage. Mine was around 7 at idle but climbed to 12.5 off idle. I found that I had a dirty connection there at the regulator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll have to have somebody check it i'm never used a volt meter. i own one but could never figure it out.maybe i'll try it. the regulator thats under my seat right? because i lost 4 wheel drive & my park low, high,etc. on my speedo. tryed using a ohm tester didnt understand it but that regulator was dirty. cleaned it got every thing back. so maybe the regulator being dirty is the problem with the batt. dont no if im riding this weekend keep you posted thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is an 04 and the regulator is mounted in the very front just behind the winch under the plastics below the front rack. Mine has 3 yellow wires going in and 1 black and 1 red coming out. The red is the positive voltage to the battery and the black is the ground. You should be able to follow the wires coming off the stator on the right side of the motor to know where it is.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
checked batt. got 12 volts. i'll have to check the regulator this weekend.give ya update later thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the new AGM battery go dead on my 02 400Sportsman this summer and what i found was the red pos going to the battery from the regulator in the front of the radiator was draining the battery. My fix after finding the regulator was on BO was to run the pos wire from the regulator to the IGN switch for a switched circuit instead of the battery. Works like a charm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts