Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ATV was ridden for a while then parked for a while. The next time the key was turned over it hd power but nothing to the starter. No clicking,,, nothing. Have power to the solenoid but none out when key is turned. Ordered an after market one and I think I burnt it up by wiring it wrong. I thought I took a pic of it before I removed it but the only one I have is after. In this pic the battery cable is still attached and there is a blue wire( which broke) attached that terminal on the solenoid. Under these wires if you look closely there is a greyish wire that had been disconnected. Is that a ground? Does it go to the frame? Could use a pic of an intact(working) solenoid please. I think I burnt the after market solenoid up because I thought the grey wire was attached to the battery in terminal of the solenoid... Grrr.

Polaris shop parts guy thinks mine is an 06 but I had thought it was an 07 I know the picture is poor, that's how ia got into this mess. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
going by the pic this a 06 or a none efi 07. the gray wire looks like faded out old black ground wire that should go to the frame/solenoid. small red wire should go to the white/red wire.. Fix the broken blue wire. big red wires go to battery and starter ....and whats up with the big black wire on top? battery?

remember this is just a magnetic switch. and it may not be your problum.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
The 06 and 07 were wired the same, but there should not be any 'guessing' as to what year model it is - take the VIN/ with you when you go after parts and any fairly competent salesman should be able to tell you what year and model your ATV is.

This is the way the way the OEM solenoid was wired Refer to pics)

The small wht/red wire is 12v when in the start position - the brn wire is ground
There should be a 6 gauge red wire going to the battery on one threaded post and a 6 gauge red wire going to the starter motor on the other threaded post
The threaded post with the battery wire had a grey fusible link connecting to two red wires in the wiring harness - one wire (#20) going directly to pin E and wire (#21) going directly to pin F of the PDM

I surmise the fusible link was replaced with a piece of wire and the two red wires tied together and in turn tied to the blue wire.

You can Micky Mouse it back together and it should work, but the solenoid in the pic is the old style which was internally grounded and is dependent on it's mounting to the frame for a ground connection. If it is not solidly mounted to a ground, it will not work even if it's good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thank you. So if I wired the ground to the battery cable I probably blew the fuseable link. Now I probably need one of those too I assume.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
No - if you wired the ground to the battery cable, it would let you know by melting the wire and creating a lot of stinky smoke, but if you wired the fusible links to ground, absolutely nothing would happen. No excitement :confused:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a little smoke. I only touched the cable to the terminal briefly. Once I removed the grey/brown wire from the battery side of the solenoid I attached it to the frame mounting screw. When I tried the starter button it still doesn't turn over the starter. The solenoid is an aftermarket. I guess it is possible that the new one is bad? I ordered another one incase I fried this one.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
I don't know how you could fry a solenoid - it is simply a high amperage relay - it works on 12v DC and it is not polarity sensitive - the starter motor works off the same power source - the only way to FRY one would be to connect it to AC voltage or high voltage DC - it would operate with 24 volts DC for a while, but 36 or 48 VDC could FRY it in a short time - the only other way to fry it that I know of is to activate it and leave it - it is designed for intermittent use and constant current flow will overheat it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked voltage to the small orange wire when key is turned to the start position. It gets about 10 volts on both the new solenoid and the old one.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Before I offer any more advice - I need the VIN of the vehicle - the wiring is a bit different between 06 and 07 and the wiring in the pic is not representative of the wiring of either 06 or 07 either 600 or 700 EFI Sportsman

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
First. THANK YOU for taking the time to help me out! ...Ok I have attached the vin# and a few pics. I checked the VIN an it is indeed an an 04 model. I did find a small red wire coming out of one of the plastic pouches up by the dash. I opened this pouch up and tested for continuity and voltage with the key in the start position. It read aprox 10V. Not sure if this red wire is the problem but it looks like it has never been attached to anything, i.e. unstripped. I have a new solenoid mounted and connected to power like in the picture attached, still no power to starter when (new) ignition key switch installed. The black/grey wire coming out of the harness is attached to the frame via the metal mounting plate.
126502865_3752079251483491_4111168061530343585_n.jpg
126536657_2766130300342171_7444346102903448015_n.jpg
126964878_205296931208189_9095364210084274088_n.jpg
127033741_190174899323625_7892477386702338095_n.jpg

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Well that explains a lot - it's not an 06-07 - it's a 2004 700

Model Name - SPORTSMAN 700
Model Year - 2004
Model Number - A04CH68AO
Purchase Date - 10/6/2004
VIN - 4XACH68A74A074500
Engine Serial Number - 0000000001875

Here's what you need to do: (and put the lock washers under the nuts) take the brown wire out from under the screw on the frame and put it on the solenoid terminal opposite the terminal the wht/red wire is connected to.

The battery wire and the chassis power wire both go on one the larger terminals and the starter motor wire goes on the other large terminal.

In the pic of the solenoid, I don't see the chassis power wire - I see a black wire butt connected to a blue wire - if the blue wire is on the same post as the battery wire and you have lights and all, then the only problem is there needs to be a ground wire on the small terminal of the solenoid opposite of the wht/red wire.

The red wire coming out of the pouch is not indicated on the wiring diagram (don't worry about it) - the green wire is 12v in the low beam position of the headlights (don't worry about it either).

Do you have lights when you turn the key and LH switch on?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes there is power to the dash and lights. Attached is a pic I took after I took it off. The blue wire broke and I butt connected it it was attached to battery side of the solenoid. So the wire I have to the frame needs to go the small terminal opposite of the red/orange wire ... correct? The connector is the size of the large terminals so I ASSumed it didnt go on the small terminal.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Just connect a wire from the small terminal of the solenoid to ground - some solenoids were internally grounded and the new one you installed is not - it needs to be grounded

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok it worked. The starter turns over but now the engine doesn't start. While I was trying to get it started the starter just kept turning even though the key was off. I had to disconnect the battery! Even with the key switch unplugged it would turn the starter over when I touched the cable to the post on the battery. I thought that maybe the solenoid was stuck closed so I tried the other new one, same thing. After a bit I tried again and it functioned normally but the engine still didn't start. As the starter was running away with itself, the engine tried to start a couple of times. Battery was down to 10V while the starter was turning over also if that matters. Weird.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
You still have wires on the wrong terminals

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You still have wires on the wrong terminals
How so. This is the 1st time it has turned the starter over. Take the black wire off of the small terminal and mount it to the frame then run a separate wire from that small terminal to ground?

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Take the black wire off of the small terminal and mount it to the frame then run a separate wire from that small terminal to ground?
Black wire? Ground is brown. The white wire with the red stripe is from the key switch - it should have battery voltage only when the switch is in the start position. Take the starter motor wire off the solenoid and work on the control wiring - when you get it so the solenoid only closes when in the start function is selected, the reconnect the starter motor motor wire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts