Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
how old is the battery? probably time for a new one.

powersport batteries typically only last 2-3 years for a few reasons. first, since there is not much room for an oversized battery, it is usually just big enough to start the machine and run accessory such as a winch. second, because the stator is much smaller then say a car's alternator so it isnt able to produce as much juice, thus cause more wear on your battery and a shorter battery life.

if your battery has sat for a month or more without being charged or used then that is probably what killed it right there. even two weeks of no use and you can start causing damage to the battery. a battery discharges about 1% of charge for every day of non-use. after one month you have lost about 30% charge, two months you have lost about 60% charge. you start getting a lead sulfate build up on the plates inside the battery. once this sulfate starts to build up there really is no way to reverse it. it reduces the amount of contact surface between the plates and the acid. once this has all happened, you can charge a battery full, and it will show full volts, and might even start the machine, but 5 minutes later it will not, because the battery can not recover from the amps needed to start again.

a simple test. charge your battery to full 12 V charge and then immediately take it to your dealer or a battery shop to have them load test it. should only take 10-15 seconds to do the test. if the battery fails the load test then you need to buy a new battery.

my questions is
1)how old is this battery?
2)has it sat for any length of time without use or charge?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i would start looking to see if there are any voltage draws on the machine when it is off and also if the stator is bad. are there any electrical accessories added to the machine? (winch, lights, heated grips, ect)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it will run just after like a 30 min it will cut off and then it wont start and then it acts like the battery is dead

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
question for you. i believe your machine might be one of the ones that fell under the ECU recall. do you know if it does or not and if it does whether it was done?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well if it dose i am goin to be mad b/c i just bought one thankin that was the problem and that thang was $200

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
do you know if the dealer checked? this was a massive recall...but it also did seem to have solved your problem though. correct?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i would check all the way down the wires looking for anything broke or cut. stators do go bad, but its not common to see them go. there are aftermarket companies who rewind stators, a simple google search should help there. find a good mechanic or shop you can trust and have them test the stator before you buy anything. i may be wrong here, its hard to tell.

if your coils are bad, and you have to buy #3, its a $476.98 part full retail. thats why it is super important to figure out what is bad. most electronic parts are non-returnable so dont start buying parts to just throw at it

3089959 PLATE-ASM
Subbed from 3089906
Part was advanced to minimum order quantity 1 $476.98

# Add Part# Description Quantity
1 3084997 Plug, Spark 1 Usage
2 3084978 O-Ring 1 Usage
3 3089906 Asm., Plate 1 Usage
4 3081657 Asm., Bolt and Washer 1 Usage
5 3089905 Flywheel w/Ring Gear 1 Usage
6 3084973 Seal, Oil

1 - 16 of 16 Posts