Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I am an ASE certified automative repair shop owner ("oh great... here we go" says everyone... lol) The only reason I say that is to let anyone know who may think that they have info over my head to let me have it anyway.

I am having an issue with my 06 hawkeye. It's having a horrible time idling.

I read that these quads have a TPS (throttle position sensor). I found it. I also found that if the contacts are closed, the quad will not run. Like the ignition is cut off as soon as the contacts are closed. Is it supposed to do that? I have removed the carb and cleaned it well, removed all the jets and blew all the passages out with compressed air. As long as I hold some pressure on the throttle to open the TPS contacts, it will idle, barely. But as soon as I let completely off the throttle, not even enough to actually move the throttle plate in the carb, the engine just shuts off.

I have adjusted the throttle cable so that the contacts stay open and the quad does idle but not very well. It actually seems a tad worse than before I went through the carb. If i pull on the choke, it idles much better. If I spray a bit of carb cleaner through the bowl vent openings in the carb, runs much better. Also backfires at times. Seems to me like I'm dealing with lack of fuel. but why? and why at idle? I'm more of a fuel injection man than a carb man (I'm ony 29, carbs on cars are before my day) but I have a grasp on what they are all about.

anyhow, I was hoping someone out there can say "oh yea! I know what causes that!" and can shoot me the answer... as if it is going to be that easy.. thanks alot guys and gals! and I hope someone can help!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like lean fuel screw setting. I re-jeted mine with dynojet kit. In doing so, I discovered mine was set only 1 turn out. To lean.

According to service manual it should be 2.5 turns out. It is consealed by a metal plug that must be remove to gain access to adjust screw.Purhaps you did not see it.The plug is on the underside of carb by float bowl. The carb has to be removed gain the access needed to pull plug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts