Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
06 Sportsman 450.
I need to replace the seals on the rear brake, but running into problem removing the piston from the caliper. The piston is pushed forward, but there is a steel sleeve in the end of the aluminum piston that needs to come off.
I have tried everything I can think of, but still can’t get the steel sleeve off so I can remove piston from caliper.
Any suggestions???

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
post up some pics!!

·
10,665 Posts
Not sure what "steel sleeve" you're talking about??
There's only two cap screws #22 that hold the caliper on.
Make sure to loosen the allen head slide screws (#3 in the second pic) before completely removing the caliper as they are hard to break loose when off the machine.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
When I read steel sleeve I immediately thought the piston but then the OP sounds like he hasn't removed the caliper from the machine. So I need a pic of this to clarify!!

·
10,665 Posts
Yeah, the only steel anything I can think of is the mounting bracket. He must be trying to take it apart without getting the bracket off the machine which won't work.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Nothing will surprise me at this point, lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Sorry, I should have said removing the piston instead of caliper. Here is a picture. I believe it is #5 on parts diagram.
The piston can’t come out far enough to clear the cylinder. I was assuming the metal ring/insert at the end of the piston should come off to allow enough clearance.

Attachments

·
10,665 Posts
You can use a blow gun for your air compressor to push it out if you like but its just as easy to tap it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Piston is already pushed out and and is loose. I can easily move it back and forth with my fingers.

Problem is that the piston can’t go far enough forward to remove it because it hits the caliper bracket across from it. (hope that correctly describes it). It appears all would be solved if I could remove the steel insert that is pressed into the end of the brake piston. In the picture, it’s the narrower part of the end of the piston. The insert appears to be part #5 on the diagram posted by [polman 500] above.

on a side note , was shocked to see that the seals for the front brakes are only a few dollars each, but the seals for the back brake total almost $50. Ouch!

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
pop those seals out over the piston, that should allow you enough room to clear the piston from the caliper housing.

·
10,665 Posts
Uhhh… I'd just put a whole new caliper on it like the one below and throw the old one in the spare parts bin!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts