Polaris ATV Forum banner

06 Sportsman 450 won't start.

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Muddkicker 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.! I have a 06 sportsman 450 that wont start. I turn the key to start it and the solenoid just clicks once. I've cleaned all the connections on the solenoid, battery, starter and the grounds and it still only clicks once, Thought the battery might have been low so i tried boosting it from my truck and it still just clicks once. I could start it from the rip cord until the rope broke off inside the casing but thats another dilemma. lol. Anyone know if the solenoid could be gone or if the starter is gone.? Thx

#2 ·
with the key on cross the posts on the solenoid with a screwdriver and see if it will start. if not then your looking at a starter, also look for loose connections though.

#4 ·
the solenoid should look something like this

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Thx Chillywilly, I tried that and nothing just some lil sparks. So i tried from the positive terminal on the battery right to the starter and still nothing from the starter so i pulled it off and took it apart and WOW it wasnt pretty inside.!! So i sprayed everything with good ole wd40 wire wheeled the centre thingy lightly to shine it up cleaned the brush with sandpaper lightly cause there was still some brush left and greased the front bearing where the shaft comes out. Evrything movin nice now. I'll put it on tomorrow to see if it works. Thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.