Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new to the forum I hope I am in the right place for this post.

2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO (carbureted)
Everything was fine after plowing driveway 10 days ago. Parked in garage. Now a second after I turn the key, (engine cold) the fan relay clicks and fan turns on, speedo starts flashing, HOT lights starts blinking, check engine light starts blinking.

• I am unable to get it into diagnostic mode via on, off, on, off, on (I have never been in diagnostic mode but read this is how to do it)
  • Unplugging the cylinder head temp sensor doesn't change a thing. Fan kicks on and stays on till I shut the key off.
  • Disconnecting battery didn't change anything
  • All fluids are full

I read on here about the ECM on that model going bad. Called the dealer they said mine was replaced in 2008. Since everything I have read with these symptoms seems to point towards the ECM, I went and bought one from dealership for $170. Installed it and it does the exact same thing. no changes at all.. What are the chances the new ECM is bad too? Any ideas on what to check now? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading....

·
Registered
649 Posts
Try unplugging the the yellow wires on the ecm { stator wires } and start it again , of course it won't be charging but see if the fan and speedo work normal .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try unplugging the the yellow wires on the ecm { stator wires } and start it again , of course it won't be charging but see if the fan and speedo work normal .
I unplugged yellow wires and turned key. There was no change. Still have fan and lights. It starts right up and runs fine except for the HOT and check engine lights, fan on etc. Thanks for your idea. If you think of any other possibilities let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered a new temp sensor. Found one for $12 on ebay. I thought mine was good cause it did respond to heat (ohms went from about 150 to 5 when put in hot water) but after reading about it last night I realized the numbers are much lower than they should be. At room temperature it has an ohm reading of a little over 150 when it should be 2000... so I may have figured this out. I will post after I get, and try, new part.
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the 4 wheeler is fixed. Spent almost $200 on parts and none of them are being used.

Went out to replace temp sensor today... before I did it I checked the ohms on new sensor... they were about 4000 @ 34 degrees Fahrenheit..

checked ohms on old one to see the difference... they were about 5000 ohms (while still installed @ approximately -7 degrees Fahrenheit) turned key and none of the lights came on...

WTF... 5 days ago that sensor read 150 ohms at 30 degrees... today it read 5000 ohms @ -7 degrees

For some reason the temp sensor started working again.

I did use wheeler yesterday to plow driveway with the lights blinking at me.. they were still blinking at me when I parked it.

Now they're not.. now I have an extra ECM and an extra temp sensor..

Thanks for reading... if something more becomes of this I will post.. but for now it's working like it's supposed to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts