Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the form, but I've had a few Polaris ATV's over the years. I just picked up a Sportsman 500 HO over the weekend, and decided it was a good idea to go through all of the fluids. I got an oil change kit from my local Polaris dealer (right next door to where I work, very convenient lol), and went home to change the oil. The oil tank is plastic, so I was extra careful when I tried to remove the drain plug. I spun the plug, and it moved, but felt strange, kind of like a hand saw, but I kept spinning it a bit, and it never came loose. It appears that the threaded insert is spinning in the plastic...is there an easy fix to this? I'm thinking about swapping in an aluminum tank from an older machine, but not sure how difficult it would be (I saw somewhere that you need a tool to extend the one line, and it puts the fill in an awkward spot...). I definitely don't want to spend the $250 on a new tank from Polaris, but the oil is old, dark, and smelly, so it needs changed sooner rather than later. If I were to take the lower line off (on the back of the tank) how much oil would stay in the tank? I could always remove it and dump out what's left.

Anyone have any easy solutions to this?

Thank you,

Ty

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the original lines work with the aluminum tank? The lines that come with the tank have banjo bolts instead of fittings...

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I put aluminum tanks on two 500’s. I don’t remember the exact size but I bought banjo to barb fittings to use the oil lines that were on the (newer) engine. You can also just clean out and use the lines from the aluminum tank. Though that might also require a different npt to barb on the engine side.

It does make it harder to reach the cap but well worth the security.

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
Found it. One of each for each quad.

14mm banjo to 1/2” male barb

14mm banjo to 3/8” male barb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts