Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to board, have 2 '06 Sportsman 500 ho's. I ironically both them a week apart and over 100 miles difference in origin and both blue.
First one had to clean carb to get it to run with the choke off, guy cut a piece of plastic tube about 1/4' to keep the choke cracked so it would run. WOW.

Now that's been about 2 months ago. The first one I bought is my daughters and is having a funny problem. The tach, when you first crank it will work fine the when you rev up it bounces around then goes to zero and stays. The first day it did it it also made the battery symbol come on. Since that has stopped but the tach is still crazy. Doesn't seem to effect the performance of the machine but just wondering if this is a sign of something worse coming.

I've taken every electrical connect I can find and unplug and checked for corrosion or burning and found nothing. Pulled the drain plugs from the pull rope housing just in case there may have been water but nothing came out.
Can someone tell me where the tach actually feeds from?

My next test, on the next non raining day, is to pull the pod off mine and put on hers to see if I have a bad gauge.

Any ideas anyone?
And thanks in advance for any help.
Also, was $3100 a good price for an '06 with 550 miles showing?
Brian Conley
Palatka

My daughter loves thing and would hate for it to die at one of the local events like Hog Waller next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Price

I also just bought a 2006 Sportsman 500 HO. I paid $3500 for mine after doing some shopping around. If there's not much wrong with it then you got a good deal.

Now I have a stupid question. How do you change the display to show your trip or hours? I am only getting the tachometer to display. I know it has to be easy and I have just over looked it. It also doesn't help that it is dark everyday before I get home from work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tach

Could this be a sign of the CDI starting to go bad?
Just took every connector loose on the machine today and us die-electric grease on every thing. Still no tach at all.
When it warms up I'm going to start pulling electrical parts off mine, that works fine, and start putting them on my daughters to see if I can find something bad.
I is also doing some phantom Hot signals here and there also.
guessing it almost has to be the control module or the CDI.
Going to also try swapping our pods out.
I'll post when I finally find something.
Open to ANY suggestions or ideas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the problem. Posting this just in case someone else comes across the same issue.
After my daughter would ride for about 30 minutes it would start flashing hot.
Did the diagnostic test on it and found that it was only charging to 12 volts.
Checked the stator wire and the showed continuity to the ground.
Pulled the flywheel and found about 4 small pieces of metal in there that had shorted one of the coils on the stator. I recently changed her starter and small pieces were gone from the teeth.
A new stator is $369.00 and a week to get.
I unwrapped the wire from the bad coil as all the others were still good, reconnected the wires and check and found a normal reading.
Reinstalled everything and now the tach work and it charges 14 volts.
The reason for running hot was that the fan didn't have enough voltage to spin fast enough to cool it.
Caught it when it was running hot and hooked jumper cables to it and the fan picked up and it quit running hot.

Hope this helps someone else.
Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts