Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,trying to help a fellow quad owner out with his 06 Sportsman 500 with overheating issue. He takes her out on an easy 10 minute ride,then the overheat light comes on - rad fan is running full blast - coolant gurgles at the overflow tank and spews a little. First thing came to mind is to pull the thermostat ? Can it be pulled and not reinstalled just for troubleshooting purposes ? His rad is clean,don't know when a rad system flush has been done,has fresh oil change. Quad has maybe 500 miles on her. Thanks ahead.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I would test the stat in hot water to see if it opens ..if not then replace....when you open it to take out check water pump also....check impellar

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Are the water pumps known to get worn ? This is my brother in laws quad. I own a Brute 750, which is a whole different ball of wax there.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Clean the OUTSIDE of the radiator. It's probably clogged with junk.
X2 on this. Pull the fan off and you will be amazed at how much stuff is stuck in the fins. I had one of my xp's overheat due to seeds and crap from riding in high grass.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well,thanks for all the help guys. It turns out that the radiator fins were blocked solid with mud on the engine side. If you looked at the rad from the front,all looked clean. But once I took off the right side floor board,I got a good look at a solid mud covered radiator. She's back to running good. We went on a ride back in September,it was raining cats and dogs,and we were covered head to toe in mud. My brother in law never bothered to wash her down after the ride. UNFREAKING REAL. Now you can see right through the rad.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Glad you got it worked out.

Sean

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Good job! A clean radiator is a happy radiator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts