Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 06 sportsman 500 h.o. winch won't wind in or out it just clicks when I press the button. Any ideas on what it could be? Relay maybe? Also speedometer quit working. Any help with it would be nice too

The Enforcer

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You could have a defective winch contactor. I had one go bad on my WARN years ago.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks is that the little box towards the back left of the ATV about 3 inches past battery? Can you buy just that, and would you happen to know possible problems that cause speedo to go out? Thanks man I appreciate it

The Enforcer

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Your winch connections should terminate at this box.

What brand winch is it? It should be a replaceable part for any brand though. Not sure about the speedo going out at the same time.

Does it start up fine? Battery seems like it has good strength?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes that's where the connections end at. It is a warn made for polaris so I'm guessing its factory. It is a 2500lb it came on ATV. When I push the button on my handlebars the clicking comes from that box.

The speedo didn't go out at same time. The speedo was already out not a real big deal just want to fix it for my pop. Battery is strong starts right up no problem at all

The Enforcer

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
When my Contactor went out.. it would go out alright but simply click at times for pulling cable in. I could usually get it to go after a while.

I found a writeup somewhere and I can't remember where. A guy was showing how to fix it. There is a defect in some of them. In fact there was a recall on them years ago. I ended up getting a free replacement from WARN.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Before I spent any money on this problem, I'd check a few easy things:

1. Check the Cleanliness/ Tightness of all electrical connections. A loose connection or corroded contact could easily cause this problem, especially a ground cable/wire.

2. To rule out a Faulty winch motor you could always eliminate the relay. Quickly touch the winch's ground & power cable directly to a battery. If it moves its not the winch itself. If you are not 100% sure what I mean, ask someone familiar with DC power.

3. The relay itself can easily be tested with a multi-meter. It's really nothing but a large multi function switch controlled by your winch's in/out switch. If you can get a schematic diagram for the relay or if you/friend understand its operation and test it, you can "prove" its bad before purchasing a new one.

If all else fails give the winch motor a few hard whacks with mallet. It might not fix the problem but may make you feel much better about things. In all seriousness it could just be corroded motor contacts and a good whack may "free" things up. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts