Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Sportsman 500 X2. In august I had to replace my battery, then found out my taillights weren't ever turning off (and that is what killed my battery). The polaris dealership determined it was the power distribution module (PDM).

Everything was ok for a while, but now my gauges blink. Basically when i rev up, or shift between park, and reverse or drive, sometimes my gauge disappears, and then comes back. I haven't yet found any conistencies as to when it does this. Also the Gear indicator and fuel level blink off and then back on.

Anybody seen anything like this before. My polaris dealer is saying its an electrical problem, and i understand its a 4 year old machine, but i have only put 800-900 miles on it. I spent $500 on the battery and PDM in august, and can't imagine how much more i'll be spending searching for an elusive electrical problem.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i see that in a few earlier posts. I will get the VIN tonight, and see about checking up on it. If i remember correctly, when i replaced the PDM in August i checked into a recall for overheating ECM's, and mine wasn't included. Do you know how recently this recall has been updated? Also, is this possibly a different recall? Either way i will check again.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
im not sure, there has been many many updates on the recall. i can check your vin for you if you PM me it. it is in effect for a lot of 04-06 models. basically what the problem was is there was one or two reports that when the machine was off, the ECM would still overheat to the point it would catch fire. the (i think two) know case, one burned down the garage, on burned down a trailer, both during the night when the rest of the machine was cool, which is why they recommended disconnecting the negative terminal on your ATV when not in use.

i have access to the dealer site, i can check for you. its too hard to keep up with all the updates but if yours is included, it will give me a warning message when i run it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi i have seen some of you discussions and i think you can help i have a 2006 x2 500 that has huge electrical issues!. it started 2 month ago with blinking light and a massive power failure that kills all circuit to the atv and turns it off then it comes back to life but will not stay running more that 10 min at a time!
i got a new ecm from my dealer and the next problem was it would not start the atv it turns over but no fuel pump or spark! so i but the old ecm back in and it works good for 5 min then more of the same! flashing lights and power to the hole atv turns on and off! i've looked at every wire and even bought the full clymer manual and still cant solve this problem! ive looked at the pdm but worried thats not it ether? do you know if ecm need to be matched up to the atv like cars? i realize that this might be part of the polaris recall but so far the have helped out w a ecm but would start!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi i have seen some of you discussions and i think you can help i have a 2006 x2 500 that has huge electrical issues!. it started 2 month ago with blinking light and a massive power failure that kills all circuit to the atv and turns it off then it comes back to life but will not stay running more that 10 min at a time!
i got a new ecm from my dealer and the next problem was it would not start the atv it turns over but no fuel pump or spark! so i but the old ecm back in and it works good for 5 min then more of the same! flashing lights and power to the hole atv turns on and off! i've looked at every wire and even bought the full clymer manual and still cant solve this problem! ive looked at the pdm but worried thats not it ether? do you know if ecm need to be matched up to the atv like cars? i realize that this might be part of the polaris recall but so far the have helped out w a ecm but would start!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts