Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a gently used Sportsman 90 for my boys for Christmas. Its been running really strong, however, it smokes like an old Evinrude outboard like its too rich. Should it smoke that badly or is the oil pump set too high? Was riding it off and on all day yesterday and at one point at near WOT it sputtered like it couldnt get fuel. This was only for a split second or so then it picked right up. Later after a break (the engine was pretty much cooled off but did'nt require but maybe 1/2 choke to start) we cranked it up to head in for the evening. It ran for about 3 minutes and then it sputtered to a stop. All attempts to restart failed. It tried to crank but would die off. Fuel tank is almost full and 1/2 tank of oil. I pulled the fuel line downstream of the filter and fuel flowed out smoothly. Pulled the breather to look into the carb throat and could see it was moist with fuel and when cranking could see tiny droplets of fuel spitting back out of the carb inlet. Covering the inlet of the carb with my hand I can feel a little suction while starting. I pulled the carb out of its intake hose and it really didnt look like it had much fuel in the back of the carb. I did notice that the bowl drain leaked fuel out of it when the carb was tipped at about a 45 degree angle. I thought the drain was only supposed to drain when the screw was opened. Checked the screw and it could not be tightened any further so Im thinking that it may need to be replaced. Pulled the spark plug and expected to see or be able to smell fuel but it was black and almost dry. From some of the other threads I read, I should replace the plug. I am leaning toward pulling the carb and cleaning it all out since it seems like a fuel delivery problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions or am I on the right track. Any tips on disconnecting the throttle and choke from the carb? Ive done almost all of my own repairs to many an outboard and I cant imagine this 2 smoker is much different.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update : the whole problem was a dirty carb. Took it off and stripped it down. Soaked it over night in a gallon can of carb cleaner..... Bingo! Running great. Also a new plug. Added sea foam to the tank and the excessive smoke problem is gone as well. Hopefully by me replying to my own post with the solution, someone else will benefit from it. The carb sticky really helped in solving the issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts