Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

As I'm sure is easily noted, I'm new to the forum, and the Polaris world in general. I recently purchased a used 2006 Sportsman 500 HO EFI; this thing is awesome and has stood up to literally everything I've thrown at her. However, during a recent excursion to Busco Beach, a buddy of mine noted that the quad seemed "stuck in 4WD". Even when in "2WD", the quad would spin the front wheels over after the most minimum amount of slippage in the rear was detected, whether I wanted it to or not. Switching back and forth, in neutral or reverse, or in any gear for that matter, garnered no results.
I got the quad home, and immediately got to work. I immediately began doing my research, on this forum and others, and alot of people listed common solutions:
1) Check/Drain/Refill the front diff fluid with the suggested Polaris Demand Drive fluid. This was done, with no success.
2) Check for axle security/tightness. First time around, they were tightened with an impact; don't see any issue with this. If worse comes to worse, I'll use a torque stick and torque to the recommended 70 ft/lbs.
3) Check all connections, both at the pod, wheel sensor and differential: everything seems good here. I'll resecure all the connections tonight with di-electric grease; I don't really see this being the issue, although I could be wrong.
4) Check the armature plate for runout/warpage/wear: this is where things got interesting, for me, at least. Upon inspecting the armature plate, I found that there were two uniform grooves around the entire surface that mates to the coil. A couple places online said that as long as there was no warpage, you could very carefully polish down the face of this plate, until the grooves disappear, and try that. When I did this and re-assembled everything, the quad seemed to do great for a short while; it didn't seem to jump into 4WD unprompted and would switch back and forth with ease. However, it wasn't long before it started to feel like it was sticking back in 4WD again, this was most noticeable when actually switching to 4WD, and noting the lack of change in handling/handlebar response.
As a result of this, I bit the bullet and decided to purchase a new plate anyway. I looked online to discover the information about Part # MIA 10656 from John Deere, and decided to give it a whirl. Before I put the new JD plate in, I noted a much different appearance when it comes to finish(the JD plate was a brownish-tan color; the OEM one was a black metallic color) and weight(the OEM one seemed a bit heavier in my hand). I decided to install it anyway.
Now, rather than having a quad that is locked in 4WD constantly, I have a quad that won't lock into 4WD at all. So, it seems like I have literally gone from one end of the spectrum to the other at this point, and other than hook the coil back up to the quad with the diff apart to test the coil, I'm running out of ideas. Also, with the diff apart and unplugged, I didn't notice any sort of magnetism from the coil, which I imagine is correct considering that the coil would need the 12V from the quad to energize and generate a "pull."

Is there certain years/models that the JD armature plate is not compatible with, or does it sound like an electrical coil issue? Anyway, any kind of advice or help is greatly appreciated at this point. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can anyone provide some insight for me, please? LOL

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Did you check out the plastic cage of the hilliard clutch for cracks, and make sure all the springs are there holding t6he rollers? Ive used the jd parts and had no problems.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I don't have the specs but is the ohms reading on armature plate showing up correctly? It might be 26 ohms.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To those who responded; thanks gents. I actually figured it out, finally.

I found it peculiar that only after I had been in there, did the AWD stop working completely. So, I tore the thing back down and re-checked everything; it was at that time that I noticed I had the armature plate and thrust washer switched around. Put them in their proper places, and now she works great.

Now just to address the issue of her stalling out at idle....haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts