Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after running the unit for a while it starts to sputter and stall, some times it runs ok. seems like when it is warm is when it causes problems. had it to dealer but they said it had no codes and was fine. is there a way to check codes on just the monitor? or any other suggestions? thanks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
First make sure the machine has fresh fuel. You might want to check the the throttle position sensor and the T-bap sensor on the intake boot. The wires have been known to break internally which makes it impossible to find. Pulling or pushing back on the wires right by the connector will usually tell you if they are broken internally or not. They do have repair kits for this. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had what sounds like a similar problem w/ my 06 Sp 500 efi. It started and ran fine until it warmed up. Then it would sputter, back fire, and eventually die. Of course this problem first happened on the trails at Black River Falls about 4 miles from the trail head. I replaced the plug, air filter and checked all the connections. I had the dealer check the TPS and the T-Bap, both of which had been replaced due to the Polaris recalls. No codes were showing at the dealer. After the second trip to the dealer with no fix, I did some research online and determined on my own that it was the fuel pump/sending unit. Of course Polaris doesn't just sell the fuel pump, you have to buy the whole tank w/ the pump and sending unit. It looks link Polaris had some issues with their fuel pumps. When you turn the key and before you start the motor, you should be able to hear the fuel pump working. I noticed the old one was pretty loud compared to the new one I had installed. I had the dealer replace it and ol' red has been running like a champ ever since. Try everything else before taking the fuel pump/sending unit option as it costs @ $450 for the new tank/pump/sending unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts