Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after the last trip to the mud hole I got back and noticed some clunking when I would slow down. I checked the drive belt and sure enough, a chunk of teeth had been worn out. I replaced the belt and it drives great now, except when I put her in reverse, the gear [R] is not indicated on the pod and after a few seconds the check engine light comes on. The cel goes away when I put the shifter in any other position than R, and all other gears are displayed on the pod. The quad runs fine and drives fine, even in reverse and the reverse lights light up when in gear like normal.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
174 Posts
more than likely the sensor that the shifter arm is connected to, it's held on by a little C clip it's black kinda round on top goes down to a plug in, just pop out the c clip unplug it, might have to pry lightly and wiggle it off, play with it a bit stick it back in and it might work again. If not go into diagonstic mode by holding the yellow button with the 4x4 switch in the on position turn the key on while holding the button, then scroll through the features till you come across some random 3 digit number, if i had the repair manual with me I could tell you what they should all say but as you switch the shifter from park on down to low the numbers should gradually change, if it sudenally jumps or changes to some stupid number it's more then likely you need a new shift indecator sensor, it's about 80 bucks from polaris.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input. I've got a shop manual for it. Yesterday when I went out to the hole I did my 'pre-leaving checks' which includes starting the beast. Started up perfectly. I trailered it to the hole and went to start it, no go. It would crank, but not fire. I felt the airfilter while cranking, definite air flow, and we could smell fuel, so that left us with no spark... I pulled a plug cable off, to look at it (forgot my tools, so staring it down was my only method to fix it :d). Unfortunately I pulled the left one which happens to be the biggest pita to get seated again... 45min later I got it! gave a quick twist of the key and the beast roared to life.

Ok, so that part of the story didn't have anything to do with the original topic, but later on in the afternoon, I would notice that every once in a while the R would start to display again...sometimes. Most of the time though, it would be no R and a CEL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts