Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went hunting last week I found that in high gear my clutch tends to slip until around 1800RPM, it seems to labour to start than the machine takes right off. I removed the clutch cover and found the primary inner sheave worn about 3 thou on an inch at the bottom, I'm second owner and the machine only has 355 miles on it. My question is were should the belt be riding on the on the secondary clutch at idle, my seconday is always turning at idle.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Banned
7 Posts
sportsman clutch

The secondary clutch will generally always turn when its idling and in neutral. The belt should be about 1/16 to no more than 1/8 inch above the secondary sheaves. When its idling and you put it into gear, does it jerk or grind? It shouldn't, if it does then you either your idle is too high or the belt needs to come down in the secondary a tad. If I were you I would pull out all 7 bolts off of the primary, and make sure that the weights and rollers are all working smooth. If they stick sometimes that could cause an issue. Also, make sure you have the stock spring in there, some times people will swap those out to make the engagement higher to get a little more "umph" out of them. Hope it helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts