Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gotta 07 sportsman 800 efi twin stealth edition with the dual exhaust. has wild boar rad relocate and snorkel on stock size (26in) bighorns.

I pulled the snorkel apart as it had rips and holes throughout, how should i go about rebuilding this?

I installed a 4in lift, now looking for a set of fairly (like $4-600) 30x10-14 tires/wheels used or new, open to suggestions

Exhaust is cracked, how should i fix it?

seems to not have 800cc worth power.. feels the same as my 500cc, and backfires after high rpm, thinking tps is off?

looking for a set of aftermarket led headlights to fit this model, cant find any.. not a huge deal but current headlights (the lower ones) have sand in them and are halogen

The belt is going too, starting to smell it burning and feel it slipping, is just a belt good or is it worth putting a $500 clutch kit in?? looking to pop wheelies, have good acceleration and be able to cruise at 50-60mph, im fine with using low for mud bogging if necessary..

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so first priority: what clutch should i get for this puppy? and what about the backfiring? any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quad shop customs clutch kit from RVS performance.

I'd look at replacing the exhaust pipe if its too rusty to weld back together.

So far as the lift, you are probably going to have problems breaking axles with that much angle on them. If you do then look into the 1.5" forward a-arms. That should give you enough clearance for 30s.

Headlights, check out Hays Fabrication. Or do like I did and mount a couple of cheap LED cubes to the front bumper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i heard somewhere that the aftermarket exhaust doesnt give any more power over the dual exhaust on these bikes? would it be worth welding? its not rusted at all. still got factory paint on it.. almost no rust anywhere on bike. i think ill be good on clearence up front with the 30s. do you have a suggestion for a mud tire for this atv?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I dont know anything about aftermarket exhaust other than it gets annoying on a long ride. So far as mud tires outlaw 2s seem to be the go to for most of the mud guys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea id love to have a pair of those but i dont want to swing the cost... im hoping to find a used set on craigslist or something. i saw a set of 4 29.5s with the wheels for $400 a while back but didnt have this bike at that point.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh and ive heard that the stock primary clutches on polaris atvs sometimes wear out? would it be better to go with a whole aftermarket primary or a clutch kit?

·
Premium Member
7,559 Posts
How many miles and hrs in the machine?

Also the 800 isn't a HP monster it's a torque monster. You're not go to have the rip the bars feeling out of it. But it does keep pulling and pulling with what seems to be endless power. I do know what you mean though out of the gate the 800 isn't anything to write home about!!! But then again it isn't a v-twin. It's power lies in the mid to upper range.

·
Registered
230 Posts
oh and ive heard that the stock primary clutches on polaris atvs sometimes wear out? would it be better to go with a whole aftermarket primary or a clutch kit?
I'd pull the belt cover and check everything out to see how worn everything is in there. You might be able to get by with just a clutch kit. Replacing the primary with aftermarket will most likely not be cheap. CV tech primary for example will be 350-550 which is about twice what a clutch kit would be.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Okay, so as for the exhaust, that to me screams the age old misunderstanding that "anyone can weld with a wirefeed". That being said, the problem you ran into there, is I'm guessing it had a hole rubbed into the pipe originally, and someone's buddy said they could "weld". They tried fixing it with an exhaust sleeve, which, if welded properly would have worked just fine. You should be able to bring it to any reputable weld shop or exhaust shop and have that repaired. Once that's fixed, you should've knocked out two issues. One being the exhaust, the other being the backfiring. As it sits, the engine is sucking air into the exhaust, most likely causing the backfiring. I personally would start by fixing the exhaust before starting to mess with any electrical.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Also the 800 isn't a HP monster it's a torque monster. You're not go to have the rip the bars feeling out of it. But it does keep pulling and pulling with what seems to be endless power. I do know what you mean though out of the gate the 800 isn't anything to write home about!!! But then again it isn't a v-twin. It's power lies in the mid to upper range.
yes! thats exactly how i put it. my sportsman 500 (ohc) would run circles around it in a race, but this thing pulls like an ox. not fast, but strong

·
Premium Member
7,559 Posts

yes! thats exactly how i put it. my sportsman 500 (ohc) would run circles around it in a race, but this thing pulls like an ox. not fast, but strong
Hold on a second I'm saying all of that, lol. If your 500 is running circles around the 800 then there is something seriously wrong with the 800!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...but power wise if you hooked them both up to a weight transfer sled, the 800 would dominate. so the 500 makes 35ish stock and it has a high flow air filter, drilled out exhaust, and cut off intake, so i would guess it gets around 40ish maybe? the 800 gets 50 give or take stock.. soo they arnt far aprt from each other.. i just think the overhead cam in the 500 makes it spunkier than the 800. buuut sad day- i had to sell the 500 so now its just the 800 and me lol...and some other atvs, but they arnt polaris so they dont count.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the 500 also had a new belt in it and the 800 needs one desperately.

·
9,186 Posts
That 800 should dump you off the back if its right!
I'd say you need a new belt AND both clutches rebuilt. If its still weak then you need the engine refreshed.
Have you checked compression? 150 psi minimum.
Fuel pressure? 40 psi +/- 2

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That 800 should dump you off the back if its right!
I'd say you need a new belt AND both clutches rebuilt. If its still weak then you need the engine refreshed.
Have you checked compression? 150 psi minimum.
Fuel pressure? 40 psi +/- 2
will check when i get back from vaca, thanks! i was looking at a clutch kit for the primary as it is, what is there to do with the secondary? I know nothing about clutches except how to change the belt so please enlighten me...:nerd

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
also, it was bogging pretty bad yesterday when i fired it up, so i think the exhaust is a main culprit. i have an auto shop across the street and noticed they were welding an exhaust the other day so prolly gonna run it over and ask them about it.

·
9,186 Posts
Check out EPI, Highlifter and QSC or other websites like Partzilla and Rocky Mountain ATV. They have lots of videos and tech tips. There's also lots of YouTube videos about Polaris clutches.
The secondary, depending on design, will wear the helix, rollers or sliders so that they stick and don't open or do so erratically. It won't shift out so its like you're running in low gear all the time. Or they can stick open so its like you're trying to take off in high gear. Both clutches have to work smoothly together to upshift and backshift correctly.
In the primary, the bearings, bushings, weights, weight pins, buttons, rollers, washers and spacers get worn so they don't work properly.
In both clutches the springs can also get weak or break and the sheaves get worn.
The only way to know is to disassemble and inspect. Sometimes it is more cost effective to simply replace them than to rebuild depending on the amount of wear on particular parts, their cost and the specialty tools required to do the rebuild or the labor cost to have it done.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A lot has happened since the last post. I have decided to sell this atv since I keep running into issues with it. So I realized the axles were lifted and kinked way to much- one snapped and also lost my driveshaft. So I fixed that and removed the lift and trying to sell now. Heres my issues:
1 the radiator started spraying coolant everywhere and I cant find the leak.

2 i found that the exhaust bolts were lose and the manifold was pulling away from the engine causing the running issues. How should I keep this tight so it doesn't happen again?

3 was riding it out of my shop today and boom, gas starts going everywhere. Appears to be leaking from the rail or one of the injectors?
Any help would be appreciated! I think overall bad design on these 800s by polaris and theres definitely a reason they quit making them!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts