Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and looking for some help. My sportsman will not start, have read posts on this issue and seems common. It was running fine and then one day just stopped. It will run when starter fluid is sprayed in and then quit when the fluid is used up. So far have replaced the Injector, TPS, TPS wiring harness, and Fuel Pump. Fuel pump does not prime when key is turned to the on position. Have not replaced the MAP sensor, since this does not seem to keep it from starting rather than running rough (puts the ECM into waste spark). I am curious if this is an ECM issue?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Do you have a service manual?

Mark

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Have you checked the fuel pump relay? Is it cycling?

Mark

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Nevermind. I think I answered my own question. The fuel pump relay also powers the ignition coil. If it's running with starting fluid then you have spark. You say you have replaced the fuel pump....new or used? Will it run with voltage applied?

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I can tell it is not cycling. Unplugged the fuel line from the top of the tank and turned key to start, no fuel pressure. There is a very slight hum that can be heard if you put your ear to the tank. Checked the wiring harness at the A and C terminals and it is supposed to read between 7 and 14 incoming volts, there is 0.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
OK. assuming the same colour scheme as my 2008 drawing, what voltage are you seeing on the red/dark green wire. This one is the high current lead from the Fuel Pump/Ignition Coil relay. What voltage do you see at the ignition coil pin #2?

What if you apply 12vdc directly to the fuel pump? (A - 12vdc, C - ground)

Mark

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Correct, A is power to the pump, C is ground and B is the fuel level signal to the Speedo cluster.

Mark

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Check your ground to the fuel pump while you are there. It appears to be a chassis ground.

Mark

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Interesting......

Mark

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I wonder if the bulkhead harness that goes from the outside of the tank to the fuel pump on the inside is junk? Ring it out with an ohm meter and see.

If the bulkhead harness checks out, I would next rule out a bad ground on pin "C" on the ATV chassis harness. Trace it back to where it is attached to the frame.

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nope, new pump doesn't work if wired directly! The harness inside the assembly is junk and appears to have been worked on before. The pins are loose and wires came right off where they had connected too close to the harness itself, crimp connectors all the way up on the harness terminals! Later today, will repair the harness and re-install old pump and see. Eventually replace the wire harness inside the pump assembly.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well, hopefully you're on to something here! Take your time and do a good job.

Mark

1 - 20 of 29 Posts