Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some feedback or info on a clutch kit for my 2007 Sportsman 800. I'm going to be running Outlaw 1s tires 27×9.5×12 fronts & 27×12×12 rears. I bought a Dalton Primary spring (DPPS-O/BL) orange & black stripe. The web site states that the 800s stock clutch is really good and if your running tires up to 27" you should upgrade to this spring. Will this spring do? I have not got around to install it yet, but was wondering if this will be sufficent to turn the outlaws ties or should I be looking into a different clutch kit? I also have question about how to lift the rear of my sportsman? I seen the PVC spacer trick for the front. Is there one for the rear also? Or just go with a aftermarket lift kit? I don't want to get into replacing all my axles, do you guys think I will start to snap axles with these tires? I'm running Mudlite XL 27×10×12 front and 27×12×12 rears with no lift and haven't had no problems with axles or nothing! Should I be worried with the Outlaws and lift kit? Thank you

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I always recommend doing a full clutch upgrade. Not sure what the spring rat of that Dalton spring is, but just changing the spring to a stiffer one will usually only raise the RPM's at which your belt engages. You will benefit more from a properly tuned clutch with weights and springs. As far as the lift goes, you can put spring spacers in the front to stiffen up the springs and get it to ride a little higher, but is still not a lift. You also need to put the strut plugs in to gain the lift. This is not the same for the rear, and you will need lift brackets. With the lift you will most definitely need some gorilla or turner axles. I broke the front stock axles with just the 2" spacer and no lift. If you are going to run those outlaws, and plan on turning them in mud, you will also need to upgrade the axles. Outlaws are aggressive and will grab on everything. The reason you haven't broke anything with the mudlites is that they are not aggressive and slip rather than grabbing like an outlaw does.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you are just running those tires on the trails you will probably be ok with just the spring change, but if you are planning on mud and thick goo you're going to want to go to a complete kit. The tires and resistance in mud affect the feedback to the secondary clutch which will change the way it shifts. Depending on if you EBS or not may require a helix change as well to maximize the performance of the machine for your use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts