Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
That’s a tough one because my 2010 carb HO only has the speedo and no ECU. I tried to see where it got it’s reference from and it looks like it’s from the pickup coil which I think it gets from an out put from the cdi but dang! I can’t remember and I’m gone for a week. I will be watching this because maybe we have the same issue but, since mine is carb it doesn’t effect an ecu it doesn’t have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But if the display is the culprit (which I think mine may be) then the ecu receiving that busted up signal is a problem. But wait, mine ran like shite the last time I took it out for a long ride. Man! I think we might be stumbling on the same problem Saint. I’ve done multiple electrical tests and all seem fine. Do I have a display that is actually affecting how the bike runs? One wouldn’t think so but stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It does sound like we may have the same problem. I think i read some where the the rpm signal is generated at the stator then pass throught the regulator then to the speedo. I have to sit done with the wiring diagram and see if i can figure it out. Bad regulator maybee?

·
Registered
33 Posts
That’s entirely possible. I didn’t think it could be because the lights were good and voltage at the battery while running was in spec I never tested at the regulator other than the charge voltage

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Ok, so i got a chance to mess around with it again today. I checked the tach with my multi meter and when the tach rpms drop down to 850 the engine is still actually ideling at 1150. So the tach is reading off. I tried what willshire said and sure as anything i turn the headlights on and the tach starts reading correctly. At the same time i couldnt get the quad to quit like it has been. Again seems like this never wwants to act up when i have to to trace it, yet i take it to use it and it quits all the time. Could a bad tach be causing the quiting problem? Does the tac tie in to the ecu at all?
checking all the wires at the speedo and noticed 1 wire labeled as a engine kill in the diagram. if this wire is grounded it will shut the engine off. maybe the tach is acting up and shutting the engine off? i am now wondering if next time i run in to trouble with the machine shutting off if i turn the headlights on if it will it stay running? maybe i should just put in a new tach? i also noticed that the fuel guage reads differently by 2 bars with the headlights on and off. i checked the ground at the tach and it shows good, and i have battery voltage at pin 1. i have checked voltage at battery with headlights on and off and in both scenarios the voltage is steady at 14.4. i have not tried riding the quad with the speedometer unpluged, i dont know if that would prove anything since i cant always get the quad to miss and shut off

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Pin 4 is engine kill. So must be the speed limiting in reverse is done by the speedo pulsing this wire. So i guess if the speedo is bad it could technically cause a misfire or cause the quad to shut off. Just posting to get ideas, keep track of my thoughts and help others. Ill let you know how it turns out

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Check the ground wire on the cluster. Make sure it is absolutely continuous to ground. It shares the brown wire with the high beam too! It seems like that ground may not be fully grounded. I searched something unrelated and this idea popped up. Makes sense if the headlight is creating an even better ground because the display ground is shitty. Hmmm. I’m totally trying this next week!

·
Registered
29 Posts
So Im actually having the exact same issues right now with my 09 800 efi. Ive done all the same trubleshooting as you have done. still to no avail. One thing I found that you havent mentioned, i had some damaged wires at the CPS plug, off the main harness. i think that may have been my issue but my test ride after I repaired them lasted only a few minutes and i lost all spark. Thats where Im at now. i think my ignition coil has craped out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well to keep people posted the procom ecu showed up and for 1 it looked used in the box. There was dirt on it and the front was all scuffed up. So I plugged it in any way and the quad wouldn't even turn over with that computer in it. Try to load some different maps and nothing. So out that came and old ecu back in. Starts fine. So I ordered a cluster which should be here Saturday. We will see how that goes. Procom is taking the ecu back for a full refund plus shipping cost

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok got the new cluster the other day, installed it and it cured the rpms not reading right but did not cure the intermitant low idle and shutting off. So now I'm pulling my hair out. I made a tps test harness and ran leads up so I could drive around and watch tps voltage and low and behold the out put of my tps drop to .432 and starts reading erratically. I switched to the 5v ref wire and it never loses 5 volts. This is my 3rd tps which none have cured my problem. I found if I just put the tinyest amount of pressure on the tps it starts reading off. This last sensor came from otb. I wonder if a oem tps would be any different, but at 200 it a wild gamble

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is your trigger coil in spec from the metal trigger on the flywheel? .015” - .02” does it only do it on tip in on the throttle? If three tps are producing the same result, I would not go for OEM.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts