Polaris ATV Forum banner

07 Sportsman 800 engine problem.

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  lockedupLJ 
#1 ·
OK, so I just bought an '07 Sportsman 800, with the 6" Gorilla lift, axles and 28" Maxxis Mudzilla's. The bike is friggin awesome, but today I went riding with a few buddies and it developed a "knock":buttkick: when you give it any kind of throttle, no noises whatsoever when its idling. Does anyone know what this could be? The thing only has 103 miles and 29 hours on it, and I would hate to think I have to rebuild a motor that soon. It has never been sunk in the water or mud, well not over the floorboards anyways, and the guy who I got it from never really rode it much, he worked offshore and it sat in his garage ALOT. Any help would be EXTREAMLY appreciated.

JOSH

#4 ·
Thanks, I'm taking it up to Hattiesburg Cycles tommorow and let them have a look at it.
Can you tell if the noise is coming from the top or bottom end? Is the noise loud enough so anybody can hear it or just somebody that is familiar with motors? Most motors I have ever done with a knocking noise are usually a scuffed piston or a bad rod bearing. This is usually caused by worn out or cheap oil or filter or moisture in the motor. Let me know what you find out. If you have any questions you can email me at techsupport@dirtydawgperformance.com or the best way to get a hold of me is 651-340-1129.

Good Luck

Dale
Can't really tell exactly where its coming from, and thats what worries me the most. At an idle there is not any noise at all, but as soon as the slightest bit of throttle is applied then it is VERY noticable. If we weren't in the middle of moving I'd make a short video and post it up on youtube, but thats just not feasible right now. I'm gonna take it in tommorow and let them have a look and listen, maybe they can point me in the right direction.

#3 ·
Can you tell if the noise is coming from the top or bottom end? Is the noise loud enough so anybody can hear it or just somebody that is familiar with motors? Most motors I have ever done with a knocking noise are usually a scuffed piston or a bad rod bearing. This is usually caused by worn out or cheap oil or filter or moisture in the motor. Let me know what you find out. If you have any questions you can email me at techsupport@dirtydawgperformance.com or the best way to get a hold of me is 651-340-1129.

Good Luck

Dale

#5 ·
Hey you where saying that this 800 had been sitting for a long time. It could very well be a rod bearing or a scuffed piston but this engine is bullet proof man. I have mine apart right now but not because of any issues I sent it away for some more juice common. This is the nicest engine I have ever had to work on from internal gears too the removal it's not as bad as you would think. Good luck and happier trails

#7 ·
Well, good and bad news. The bad news is that it is a spun rod bearing, and the cycle shop said that the crank and rod is DONE!!!:twak: Now for the good news, the guy had bought the extended warranty on it so it is covered 100%:goldcup: They said it was just defective part and it should not be a problem again. I'll keep you guys updated with the results and how it turns out. Thanks for all your guys help.

JOSH

#9 ·
:UPDATE:

After much fit pitching and such I finally got my four wheeler back today. Come to find out they had the parts since the 20th of June, but failed to get working on it until last weekend. I guess they just really like pissing off their customers.:angryfire: It seems to run fine as of now, although I only rode it around the yard for about 10 or so minutes.

I have all the plastics off the front getting ready to snorkel it,:banana: anyone have any suggestions on this mod, good or bad thing to do. I have heard different opinions but no real facts on why NOT to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.