Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new as of 10 minutes ago and not quite sure how to work this site yet. I have an 07 sportsman 800 that I use on the ranch. this machine has worked fine until a couple of weeks ago when it got hot under normal riding conditions.
I drained the coolant and replaced the thermostat, the old coolant was clean, the radiator screen is free of debris and everything seemed fine until today. drove it about two miles under normal conditions and it overheated again. the fan runs but i would think it would run at full speed once the machine gets hot, it will run really slow, on and off several times then kick in at full speed. it doesnt seem to be the sensor because it is actually getting hot and the "HOT" is coming up on the display. I am not sure where the relay is and not sure if this is a problem since the fan does run. is variable fan speeds normal?
I thought that if i disconnect the wire from the temp sensor and jump it that the fan would kick in and run, it didn't. the fan continues to run intermittently even with the temp sensor unplugged.
The pumped seems to be working as I have a good return flow to the radiator.
any help or advise would be appreciated before i have to take it in for service.
thanks in advance
Trey

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I would suspect the pump even though you think you have good flow. Also, there are two temp sensors. One for the cdi and one for the fan. Variable speed on the fan is not normal so I suspect either a dirty or corroded connection or the fan is about dead.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If your top rad hose isn't getting hot when the hot light is on or when the fan kicks in then its the pump. This is what happened to my scrambler.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is a circut breaker on the fan wiring circuit that is prone to failing...
The fan has a fuse as well so the self re setting circuit breaker is a redundant feature I believe.

I by passed this breaker 3 years ago and never had fan problems or running hot again.

The breaker is located just below the ECM and behind the fuse panel in a rubber looking enclosure.

The fan needs to run a lot of the time on these machines to stay cool if it is running intermittent you will have your problems stated

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have same exact bike and did have the same problems, The remedy was replacing Fuel Regulator and fuel pump. Using a fuel pressure gauge I found my pressure to vary from 35psi to 52psi effecting performance and yes causing it to over heat. When fuel pressure would fluctuate the times it ran lean it would get hot. Worked for me I have 200 miles of riding since repair running like a beast. Polaris wants you to buy the entire tank assembly for 550 bucks I got fuel pump on e-bay and regulator at Napa for 140. Its worth at least checking your fuel pressure off the rail under the seat, should be solid 39psi give or take 3psi and will change during your ride so bring the gauge with you and check it when it gets hot or runs bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts