Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 07 sportsman 800 x2 and it over heats when I go slow I noticed the fan dont always come on especially when I have the key on the on position I got to turn it back like 4x to get it to come on and when the hot light is on it runs sometimes when it wants to ..I got a new thermister on it any Idea what it is
Please help..

And also sometimes it drops to 300 rpm and does at idle

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Have you tried a new fan relay??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I haven't just because what I read on forums alot of people said it wouldn't run at all if it was a relay.... is that true?

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
A relay can fail in many ways; it can have the coil burn out and not operate at all - the internal contacts can oxidize, close and fail to make contact - the internal operator can fail and although the coil energizes, the relay fails to operate - the contacts can break or burn off the operator assembly and although the operator works as designed, the circuit remains open as the contacts are no longer there to close the circuit - the coil can short out and fail to operate while still drawing current - a plug in relay can get corrosion on the terminals and although electrically operational, fail to energize due to the corrosion - a relay can operate intermittently due to dry, worn or dirty components or poor internal connections - and a myriad of other possibilities may cause a relay to fail to operate.

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
No if the relay has an intermittent problem then it will run on and off.

So the rpm issue is separate but may be related now that we know about the Bat light.

Make sure the battery connections are good and tight!! Then grab a voltage, you should have 12.5-13vdc. Next grab a reading with the engine running @3,000rpm, should be 13.5-14.5vdc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys I appreciate all the help I will order a relay and test the battery tomorrow I will have a update soon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And also my atv says 800 efi twin what is that I dont think it's a x2 bc it's one seat I'm trying to find a repair manual for it but idk which one mine is

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
x2 has the dump bed! take a pic of it we'll tell you what you have!!

also if you really want to full scope on it post up the vin.

a gentlemen will contact you about the srvc manual for down load just give him time to get around to reading this post.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
I have 3 manuals that cover the 07 800 EFI

What is your VIN and I can determine which manual you need - if you don't want to make the VIN public, PM it to me

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
That a regular sportsman, not an x2 or touring.

Here's what you have:
Model Year
Model Number
A07MH76AZ
Purchase Date
10/11/2008
VIN
4XAMH76A47A205304
Engine Serial Number

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update I couldn't find my volt meter so I used my jump box it said 14v it wouldn't change at 3000 rpm and I found they relay and swapped it with the one by it and the fan still wouldn't come on with the key in the on position so I removed the relay and jumped with a paper clip and it came on any idea's now?

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
First the sensor has to input the ECU for the fan then the ECU powers the fan circuit via the relay. So jumping the relay wouldn't work unless power to pull in the contacts. If you pull the connector off the sensor does the fan run??

1 - 20 of 27 Posts