Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, dead battery, fixed the obvious. New battery, fully charged, key to on position, key cluster is dead, fuel pump clicking away, turn to start...nothing...worked back and forth a few times, gauge lit up, starter clicked in for less than a second...all dead again except fuel pump(I'm assuming...steady clicking...?)
Clean all contacts on starter solenoid and ground cluster...no change.
Separate the start harness from key switch, test starter...turned over beautifully...test voltage (White/red tracer wire), only 2.4 volts with key in start position...suspect key switch...removed and cleaned up (looked good, no corrosion or burn marks). Try again...same results.
Test voltage in plug for switch, ground had good continuity, power only on the yellow wire at 4.6 volts...nothing at any other pin.
NOTE: Yes the LH switch was in the run position the whole time lol
Pulled plug for the LH switch (run/stop, lights and reverse buttons) Lights also not working the whole time either...did flicker when gauge cluster flashed a couple times, but have yet to repeat that incident .
Unsure what the part is that is in front of the rad, but has battery voltage going in and one small solid red wire on the output side going to gauge cluster going out only...rest were 9 volts and under. ESC ( I assume...it looks like an ECM with a 32 pin bar connector) had voltages no higher than 7 volts, which I expected being what it looked like.
No wires pinched, broken or otherwise damaged (removed all sheathing to expose and trace). Did the "Wiggle" and "Pull" test for unseen wire damage.
Where could I be getting a 9 to 10 volt drop in the circuit? Without a diagram I have become a bit lost.
Did an Ohm test on everything I could and no smoking gun there...all .4 or less.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap...When I tested for power at the LH switch I got nothing on any pin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Turns out to be the module in front by the rad is my issue, so rather than spend the $800 to replace it I cut the yellow wire coming out (RHS sitting in the seat), ran a power wire from battery to the yellow going up to the key switch and gauges lit up, full battery voltage to the left hand switch and to the starter solinoid. Still some issues with the lights flickering, but machine runs like a charm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts