Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 07 sportsman efi the fan comes on when it wants to not when it should which cause me to over heat at slow speeds and I got to turn the key x5 to the on position to get the fan to turn on I got a new thermister when I unplug it the fan runs I swapped the relays nothing I jumped the relay the fan came on I'm out of idea's please help

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
You probably have either a bad key switch or bad thermistor, but might ultimately have a bad ECU.

·
Premium Member
10,367 Posts
Or bad connections at the components wiring harness connectors. Bad relay or fuse connections. Your going to have to start digging into this one. You have the most hard issue to diagnose. It's intermittent so your essentially chasing a ghost and it's going to take some due diligence to solve the issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What dont make sense to me is how is the connectors bad if the fan turns on if I unplug the thermister and if I ground the relay it turns on

·
Premium Member
10,367 Posts
that's the problem, it doesn't make sense because its intermittent. theres logical steps to take to diagnose but when those steps don't yield the desired result you have either not diagnosed deep enough, you missed something in you diagnosis, or the issue is sporadic.

go back to the basics chk the fuse, relay, coolant level, ohm test the sensor, go over the connections (sometimes unpluging and replugging electrical components solves the problem), look over the wires, if all else fails ou'll have to test the ecu with a known good one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts