Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was riding with my buddy today and got a a little air (very little.... a foot or 2 at best), when I came down I no rear wheel drive. The output shaft to the front spins just fine, no noise under load, or on the jack, spinning the rear via the engine or by hand, no unusual noises.
I just replaced both axles yesterday, new bearings last month.
When I spin a rear tire, the other spins just fine along with it, no noises. When I switch the rear from locked to unlocked "turf mode" I hear it click like usual, but still the rear diff isn't getting power. I still have front wheel drive, but no rear.
Is there an internal shaft that serves as a pinion gear to the rear diff that could've snapped? or something in the rear that could break inbetween the output to the front and output to the rear internally? being that I still have front wheel drive?

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, after A LOT of reading and re-reading the service manual, there's NOTHING about that damn Turf mode and what the locking/unlocking differential looks like, they just show a normal, always locked (spool type) diff..... "13. Remove the differential gear (18) and chain by gently
prying underneath or tapping the differential gear from the
opposite side until it tips toward the output gear (19). The
differential gear is connected to the shift fork and must slide
backwards to clear the fork arms once the chain is removed."

NOTHING about disassembly of the differential gear or locker (which is not even in the manual)

I did test a few other things:
1. when the rear is locked, both tires spin in the same direction when I spin one manually.
2. when I unlock the rear (in turf mode) and manually spin 1 tire, only that tire moves, before, the other tire would spin in the opposite direction like a normally open rear diff would...... my guess, if there are spider gears in there, I destroyed one or more..... (I only really know about car/truck diffs and comparing it to them since I have no reference to go by..... thanks Polaris!)

Any insight, info, or diagrams of the turf mode differentials out there?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
one other thing, they all (turf mode and non turf mode trannys) seem to share the same trans part# 1332533..... am I missing something? can a non-turf tranny be converted to a turf tranny?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts