Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Touring started giving me problems the last couple rides. It seems to start out fine, but a while into the ride the throttle starts to stick at about 3500 rpm. I could blip it a few times and it will return to idle, but then it sticks again as soon as I give it some gas.

It does really seem that it is binding, as there is a noticeable "hump" in the beginning of the travel where you have to push pretty hard for it to move. Can't notice this at all with engine cold. When it's off and cold you can hear the throttle plate click shut when you let off. After it is hot, and the throttle is acting up, you can't hear the throttle closing.

Tried lubing the cable; no difference. Took the throttle body off and the plate looks free and not bent or sticking. Tried taking the throttle cable out of the pod routing under the bodywork and just ran it straight off the ETC, but it didn't help. Cable doesn't look kinked, and even if it were, would think it'd be sticking all the time and not just when hot.

Starting to wonder if it's not mechanical at all and maybe something going on with the electronics. I was going to just replace the throttle cable but thought I'd throw it out here first. Anybody seen this or have an idea what's wrong?:kopfkratz:

·
8,760 Posts
I'd probably start by getting the cable completely off and see if it has any unusual resistance in the cable itself. It could have gotten too hot from close proximity to the exhaust and the heat just makes it stickier. Sometimes the inner liner in the cable gets worn and it won't really try to stick till it gets hot and softens. You might also try cleaning the throttle body really well. I think there is a cleaner specifically made for the job. Then I'd check the thumb lever and internals for rust or corrosion and lube everything well. Also check the return spring...it could be broken.
If, as you say, there is unusual resistance in the first part of travel you've got something binding somewhere. I think it'll be mechanical and not electrical.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Polman, I checked the thumb lever and inside the ETC; everything looks free and clean. Everything also looks good on the other end at the throttle body. The cable seems to work smoothly when its cold. The machine has so few hours it seems like the cable shouldn't be worn, but it may just be from the heat. I will probably end up replacing it, but first I may try to make a heat shield out of wire loom and foil tape. Maybe if I can keep the heat off the cable it won't bind. I'll post back what I find.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried to keep the heat off the cable by covering the section near the exhaust with 3/8" plastic loom and then wrapping the loom with aluminum foil tape. It seems a little better to start out but after a half hour or so of running the throttle started to "hang" again. It's like when I jump off the throttle, it just gradually winds down. I'll try a new cable next. How can I tell if it was just the return spring was weak?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts