Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2008 Outlaw 525. It is cranking over very slow. Almost like the battery was low. Charged the battery still cranking slow. Replaced the battery still cranking slow. Replaced the starter it starts and cranks over sometimes, wont idle very well. When it starts it runs awesome. Sometimes it won't start, just cranks. We took the starter off again and put direct power to it and still cranks slow. My mechanic thinks something might be wrong with the decompressor. Didn't know if you guys had any thoughts. Thanks Jon.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Pull the spark plug out and see if the motor will turn over freely. Put the plug in the plug wire and ground it to the motor so a charge doesn't build up and stay in your ignition while you're doing this.

I have the same bike and my decomp device broke. It would turn over slowly, kinda lop along. New decomp device solved it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright ill try it out. You know where I can get the special tool that's needed to pull apart the motor?

·
Registered
944 Posts
I had my dealer fix it. I don't think it was a lot, $150- 180 ? The shaft on my decomp device was cracked in two.

Mine always kinda turned over slow " at times " but not as bad as it got. Then it got to the point where it wouldn't start. It would turn over slow then stop when it reach the top of the compression cycle, then it would slowly advance and repeat. It was very hard to even get it to start by towing it. The wheels kept sliding even in 5th gear. When it started by towing it ran fine.

So, if you pull the plug and it turns over good then it's most likely the decomp.

I don't know if the valves being out of adjustment " may " cause the decomp to break. Don't know.

The guys over at KTM forum told me they never heard of a 525 decomp breaking before so it's rare.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check your valves. I had the same problem with all of the same symptoms, bought a decompression lever but checked the valves first. They were super tight and once I adjusted them back to spec, it fires up first try. It was a 45 minute fix that was super easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts