Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been checking out the Sportsman I picked up. It's only an '08 with just shy of 1300 miles. The guy was quite honest, telling me he used it a lot, so I've been checking everything out.

The tie rod ends seem to have a bit of play in them. I'll replace them, but the design looks like they really can't come apart like the typical ball and socket type. Do they ever come apart? Same with the lower ball joints. Looks like they really can't come apart - at least not without really excessive wear.

He replaced all the axles. Any other suspension stuff I should be checking out?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
i'd llok at the wheel bearings,the rears seem top go first.

·
Premium Member
10,559 Posts
1300 miles in 5-6yrs isn't a lot of use, unless he was doing some really technical trails that were low mileage and high hours. I would say that bike is just barely broken in. The tie rods are heim joints and are better then ball and socket. The ball joint is a common ball and socket deal. Chk bushing play along with wheel bearing play.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would check the u joints, the rear wheel bearings will have just a tiny bit of play , thats normal for polaris, but if the wheel jiggles a whole lot its time for bearings

·
Registered
326 Posts
When you get the new tie rod ends i recomend injecting some grease through the seal with a grease gun needle it will make them last longer. I have been diong that to my 850 XP ball joints and they are notorious for balljoints failling at around 300 miles. It has now 630 miles and ball joints are in great shape. Just make sure to not put a whole lot just until you can feel the boot expand a bit

1 - 7 of 7 Posts