Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys I'm new here so here is a brief run down on what the problem is and what I have done. We were playing in some water and got it stuck we were getting it out when it shut off and would not restart. when we got it on dry ground I had no water in the air box, I also pulled the spark plug and spun the motor over a few times and had no water in the cylinder. I checked for spark and had good spark put in a new plug. Changed the oil since there was some water in the oil. I dont know where else to go I have fuel to the carb and It smells like it will flood if I keep mashing the throttle while trying to start it

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Check your electrical connections for moisture. You may have gotten some water in the carb, drain the float bowl. I would check the oil again for water need to get all that out or it could get expensive later.if you do get it going put some seafoam in your fuel. I hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
yeah check electrical

connections and take the time to put some dilectric grease on every single one. Then make sure you drain the pull start and the belt cover (those won't prevent a start but will cause you problems if not drained). Just how deep did she go? Does it have some kind of snorkel? I don't like going any deeper than my foot panel thing... :cowboy:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is not snorkeled and it was just below the seat there is still a little water in the oil gonna change it again tomorrow I also drained the carb and there was no water in it. I will start checking electrical connectors tomorrow as well. Also I seen in the no start thread to poor gas in the cylinder to see if it will start how much do i need to put in to see if that helps. Also this one has a vacuum fuel pump not an electric

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I wouldn't pour gas in the cylinder. Liquids don't compress very well... if you add too much you'll break stuff.

A few drops in the intake with the air filter off may get her to fire... don't slop it in and have an extinguisher handy jic it backfires.
Internal combustion engines need fire and fuel...

You get fire from the spark plug so the ignition is working.

My guess is you have water instead of fuel in the carburetor.
Did you drain the float bowl?
Do you smell gasoline at the tailpipe when she cranks?

From orbit via Android.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not EFI it has a carb and vacuum fuel pump, I also poured some gas in the cylinder through the spark plug hole and it still did not start but I have good spark when I ground the plug to the block and look at it I also disconnected the exhaust to make sure it was not stopped up and it did not make a difference.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Somewhere around 08-11 there were 500HO EFI models.

You need three things to make her run...

Spark is a yes.

Fuel?
Drain the float bowl to make sure it's not full of water.
Check the fuel pump operation.

Compression?
Doubt it... but if you have clean fuel and spark that's the last thing to check.

From orbit via Android.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have drained the fuel bowl and removed the carb and poured seafoam through it. While trying to start it if you continue to mash the throttle you can smell gas. I got a service manual for it and I was reading over it and seen about the automatic compression release. is there a chance that when water got in the oil this could have got hung open so that it is not building enough compression thats just a thought I have came up with. Because the motor did not sound like it broke it just idled down and shut off, and I have broke motors before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know I am late on this but I had the same problem with water at the same height. Just tonight I figured out what the issue is. On the right side of the quad (as you sit on it to ride) there is a clear hose that comes of the carb. It crosses over the carb to the other side of the bike and is slides into the frame. This line actually pulls vacuum as the quad is running. What happens is the frame fills with water and sucks it into the carb and floods the carb. So basically the bowl on the carb become full with water causing it to die. Depending on how much water is sucked into the carb will make it very on how hard it is to get it started again. Because basically its trying to run off water. So the simplest solution is to drain carb of the water or until you get a gas smell and start it. Now here comes the trick, it will idle but not rev. Because there is still water in the jets. So you have to either let it idle until its clear of the water or lightly give it throttle until you here the rpms start to increase. Basically you've cleared the water out of the carb. If you want you could add a gas additive to remove water from the gas like dry gas. It definitely wouldn't hurt. Now the only remedy I have found to prevent this from happening again is to extend that hose up into the light pod or some where above how deep you are going to take the quad. I'll post the pics of the line I am talking about so there is no confusion.

Edit: also want to add if you try to block it of it will make it die because the carb is adjusted for that extra air. The line will just have to be extended.

Hope this helps anyone down the road. Nothing worse than have a quad stuck in a water hole.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
^^^ That's an add on to the list of mods needed to make your ATV into a submarine ^^^ :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Awesome. That's my plan is to make it a submarine. Lol. Right now I'm just working on keeping it going and with that issue I was stuck on the trails for about an hour ccompletely confused on what the issue was. I even tore the exhaust loose on the trail with no change. Because I was convinced that it was the exhaust having to much back pressure. Like I said I hope this helps with people trouble shooting their quad with this issue. Because most people ride them through water just above the belt cover.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'm not sure why they don't vent it to the air cleaner box...

From orbit on my Android.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts