Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lick:Guys help me please, going in the morning to try to purchase a new bike. He are the choices, and my uses. First let me say this is my first ATV. I would like to plow some snow, this winter to offset sone of the cost of my new machine. The rest of the time it will be used for fun rides, and tailgate events in the fall. I am making a 100 mile drive to visit a dealer, that is owened by a friends family, and here is what they have to offer.New 08 Sportsman 500 EFI with chrome wheel package, I am uncertain at this time if it is HO, or XP, they also say the have some New 08 800. They are pricing them to me for $6350.00 for the 500 and $7250.00 for the 800. Is the 500 enough power or should I step up. I usuall like bigger the better when it comes to motors, but uncertain with ATV's and the dealer is telling me the 500 is large enough to snow plow and ride. Please help. Also can you help me with which snow blade. Is the Glacier II a good option, and if so which mounts, and lift options would you choose. Thanks your help is needed.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
both are good machines, the only diffrence is power the 500 will do whatever the 800 will. pulling plowing snow mudding rideing you get the idea, If you like power and money isnt a issue no brainer, I have both, If I had to choose the 800 would be mine choice. for winch polaris 3500, stay away from the 2500 they had problems with them .Warn winches are good no matter what size, the glacier II is a good plow from what ive read on the forum.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I aswell own both a 06 500 an a 06 800. gf drives the 500, I find it kinda boreing you cant really do wheelies with the 500 but the 800 lifts up quite easy, the 800 is around 200 lbs heavier and is harder to handle, my 800 tips the scales at 1025lbs. with 28'' tires and thats without me on it. on the other hand the 500 is more reliable, way easier to handleon the trails safer on steep hills and you will probably live longer with it lol.and your less likely to blow a belt or brake a cv joint. and if anything the 500 gets thorugh more mud than my 800 dont know why figure probably a weight factor. also you can expect about doubble the fuel economy with the 500. but like I was saying after a while your gana want more power, so I would say go for the 800. you wont be disapointed. just you must resist punching the throttle from a dead stop or like me you will be replacing belts every month.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Ya I should have been clearer.

The plow was easy to install even with 10 thumbs, and its the hot grips and winch install that were not well-installed on mine by the Yam. dealer - I could have done that well myself but wanted a better install. Oh well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I to am a new atv owner. I had ridin 450's and 500's in the past and also had the chance to purchase a 400 at a smoking deal I could afford two years ago. I was worried I would out grow and want somthing bigger so I let the deal die. Glad I did picked up my 800 in october it was worth the wait.
My 3 buddies that have smaller machines say there is no need for the bigger machines, but after I blew the clutch belt and asked who wants to buy it as a "joke" I had 3 guys willing to buy it for what I paid.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree the 500 will do and go where the 800 will with mods but if you like more power go with the 800. I have the glacier plow system on my 800 and it works awsome.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
well first, if is 08 models then it is NOT an XP, also the XP's were 550 and 850. the 500 is big enough to plow snow, and the glacier II plow is a great plow. it has replaceable wear bars, is easy to take off for the summer. get the winch to lift and lower it, and heated hand grips wouldnt be a bad idea either. a 500 is plenty big for most jobs. the 800 is really torques, especially in the low end, is a little smoother motor with 2 cylinders instead of one, and is also an american made engine by polaris. the 500 motor is made by fuji and imported. crazy reliable, they have been doing it for a long time, but the twin is an american build motor....just saying. good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got a 09 800, my first 4 wheeler. So far I "think" it has plenty of power, not sure I would want less. The price diff was what pushed me to the 800, and 2 cyl EFI rather than 1 cyl carbed. I will be able to give my full reveiw/thots after late goose season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts