Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fan is inoperative and I'm getting a blink code 42 which the owners manual says is: "coolant temp low voltage". The service manual says something different "Engine Temperature Sensor Circuit: Short To Ground". Unfortunately, I don't know what either one means so I'm hoping someone can tell what needs to be repaired. The fan doesn't run when I disconnect the thermistor either. The machine has 190 miles on it and it's overheating after short rides.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Check Fuses first.....

Farmer sounds like the Temp senor has gone crazy...and not turning the fan on....what you might want to do is check the voltage going to the senor first..run the quad ,the sensor should redirect the voltage to the fan motor in a few mins..if the switch grounds out the voltage will continue to the fan and turn it on, if it does'nt temp sensor is bad...Hope i helped....MUDDIE49

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also check awd system as the fan motor and awd run on the same fuse, one of these kicked my butt one day, fan motor didnt work didnt think anything of it but it kept blowing fuses, didnt realize they were on the same fuse.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the great tips. I found the problem after paying $6 and downloading the service manual. The fan motor has three layers of protection. This machine has a thermistor in the block which reads the temp then sends the temp to the computer. The computer sends a signal to the fan. The signal goes through a 15 amp fuse, then a relay and finally a 20 amp circuit breaker. The circuit breaker is hard to find and you have to take off the front rack to reach it. The breaker is a 1" rectangle box. enclosed in plastic and is located under the frame. You can feel it but it's hard to see. You have to remove the plastic and then you can unplug the breaker. The breaker has two posts and there is no way to tell if it is good or bad. After I removed the breaker I made a short piece of wire and jumped the contacts. The fan worked immediately. To test the fan you unplug the thermistor harness and the fan will run for 20 seconds. The breaker was easily obtained through NAPA. On my old machine the fan sensor was in the radiator and they failed frequently. I usually made a jumper and just let the fan run all the time. On the new machine, even with the jumper, the fan only runs when the computer tells it to. Without the fan running the machine overheated within a few minutes since I am in Florida and the temp is usually in the mid 90s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts