Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a recall notice on my 550 about a month ago. its in regards to the steering knuckle pinch bolts. has anybody taken theirs in? i took mine to the dealer and it has 500 miles on it and the left side ball joints are going to half to be replaced. boy was i glad i took mine in.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yes there have been several of us that had it done.I was riding back in September and about half way through the ride I noticed that I was drifting side to side in a straight away.I stopped and looked at the front end and the ball joints were ready to come out of the steering knuckle.I checked the front end the night before riding too and it was ok.The rim and tire wobbled back and forth and 4-5 inches up and down when I got home and lifted it.I dont see what kept it from coming apart.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the dealership told me i was lucky that i wasn't stranded with mine. mine must have been bad because most of the miles put on mine were fairly easy miles.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 09 850xp and last September I lost my front end while on a winding wooded trail. Nearly hit a tree. At this time there was no recall. I had 4 days left on my warranty and the dealer had no issues taking care of this. I, of course, was not feeling too good about the product I purchased 6 months prior to that. I called Polaris and voiced my concern about this issue and told them that I saw someone else post the same issue online and I was worried for the safety of all other owners ot these. Polaris continued to tell me they had no issues with these machines and they had no reports of this problem. Basically took my money and could care less about the safety. I got my machine back from the dealer almost 2 months later and guess what!! Two weeks after I got a recall for the same problem my machine was just in for. The dealer told me to take it back to them and it would be ripped apart again and all new parts put in as the recall was after my repair and all the replacement parts were remanufactured. My machine is ready to go but I habe no faith in Polaris. I am actually nervous to take it out. That could have been my life. Really thinking about getting ridding of it and switching to another make.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have a 09 850xp and last September I lost my front end while on a winding wooded trail. Nearly hit a tree. At this time there was no recall. I had 4 days left on my warranty and the dealer had no issues taking care of this. I, of course, was not feeling too good about the product I purchased 6 months prior to that. I called Polaris and voiced my concern about this issue and told them that I saw someone else post the same issue online and I was worried for the safety of all other owners ot these. Polaris continued to tell me they had no issues with these machines and they had no reports of this problem. Basically took my money and could care less about the safety. I got my machine back from the dealer almost 2 months later and guess what!! Two weeks after I got a recall for the same problem my machine was just in for. The dealer told me to take it back to them and it would be ripped apart again and all new parts put in as the recall was after my repair and all the replacement parts were remanufactured. My machine is ready to go but I habe no faith in Polaris. I am actually nervous to take it out. That could have been my life. Really thinking about getting ridding of it and switching to another make.
Understand your position. Its tough after you have been in the situation.

Why did it take 2 months for the repair?

Sometimes they don't realize there is a problems until multiple dealers start phoning in for the same defect.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
thats a crappy situation man. but truthfully, it does take a number of confirmed cases before a recall goes into affect. also curious why it took two months to repair?

any manufactuer can and is going to have problems, no matter how good their reputation. look at toyota, consider a very safe vechicle manufacture and now they have over 50 deaths on their hands. the only thing you can do is wear quality protective gear and be ready for anything, no matter the machine, no matter the brand. bottom line, every manufacture wants you money, thats business. as soon as you put your trust into someone who views you only has a dollar sign, bad things can and probably will happen.

good luck in whatever you decide to do. i understand you are freaked out by this, i would be to. just never let your guard down for saftey no matter home little or much you trust a manufacture is the point im getting at

·
Registered
14 Posts
It took 2 months because the parts were on backorder. So if they were on backorder I am seeing it as alot of people needing the same parts. Should kinda tell Polaris there is an issue if the same part is being ordered over and over and you are getting calls about it too. No point in craying over the past. Just super frustrating anfter spending 10k on it. When I picked up the machine they replaced 1000 in parts alone. After they told me to bring it back in two weeks later when the recall was finally issued I marked all the parts with hot pink stuff and scratched it up to make sure they werent the same parts on there when I got it back. U never know with some of these dealers out there.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
that is a crappy situation. i would love to find out who the manufacturer of the ball joints were. and the sad truth is, you really cant trust some dealers out there. good on you to protect yourself from lazy and dishonest dealers

·
11,138 Posts
uuuuhhhhh...I think Polaris is the best machine out there period!! They're building a very complicated, tough and specialized machine that's expected to go places and do things no ordinary machine could even atempt. That's why all the other manufacturers keep trying to copy them. It would be very unusual if they didn't have some problems show up now and then. I've ridden just about everything off road since I was 6 yrs old from home built carts to high end dirt bikes and now atv's. These are extreme machines that require extreme maintenance and no matter what things are gonna break. I do all my own mechanic work, even on my Toyota Tacoma, so I don't have to deal with shop mechanics. I understand not everyone can. However, it sounds to me like this dealer did all he was supposed to and then some, maybe slow, and Polaris did a recall once they realized the problem...What more do you want??
BTW how much ya want for that crappy old XP so you can go buy a Honda??

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 09 550 XP and I never recieved a letter of recall but I do feel the front end wobbling on straight runs. I did call the dealer he said my vin is not showing a recall, is there any build dates to be more precise on this recall

·
Registered
14 Posts
Polaris Industries Recalls Certain ATVs Due to Crash Hazard
The following product safety recall was voluntarily conducted by the firm in cooperation with the CPSC. Consumers should stop using the product immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: 2009-2010 Polaris All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs)
Units: About 8,500
Manufacturer: Polaris Industries Inc., of Medina, Minn.
Hazard: The front suspension ball joint stem can separate from the steering knuckle and cause the rider to lose steering control, posing a risk of injury or death to riders.
Incidents/Injuries: Polaris has received 19 reports of incidents involving the recalled ATVs. No injuries have been reported.
Description: This recall involves model year 2009 and 2010 Polaris Sportsman ATVs (models listed below) with certain VIN numbers. The ATVs were manufactured between January and August 2009. The VIN number and manufacture date are located on the right front of the ATV on the frame rail next to the front shock. Model Year Model Name
2009 Sportsman XP 550
2009 Sportsman XP 550 EPS
2010 Sportsman 550
2010 Sportsman X2 550
2010 Sportsman Touring 550
2009/2010 Sportsman XP 850
2009/2010 Sportsman XP 850 EPS
2010 Sportsman Touring 850

Sold at: Polaris dealers nationwide from February 2009 through November 2009 for between $7,500 and $10,800.
Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled ATVs and contact their local Polaris dealer to determine if your model and VIN number are included in this recall and to schedule a free repair. Polaris is directly contacting registered owners about the recall.
Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Polaris toll-free at (888) 704-5290 between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or visit the company’s Web site at Official Global Website For Polaris ATVs, RANGER Vehicles, Snowmobiles, & Victory Motorcycles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Took my 850 in with 68 hrs and about 350 miles. Just got it back from the shop today. Took it in 2 weks ago for an engine studder and stall. Also a popping in the front end. They said the engine studder was fouled plugs and the front end popping was a bad right side steering knuckle, ball joints and left side lower A-frame bushings. Lets hope that takes care of it.

Bad part about it I just picked it up from a different dealer 4 weeks ago after having the 50 hr service and front end recall done.

Now I'm hearing something about a recall for bad rear axles???:wtf1:

·
Registered
667 Posts
i would file a complaint with polaris and the CPSC if they did the recall and did not fix it. they can be fined for not repairing the quad per the recall.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just got my 2010 850 xp 3 weeks ago and the first ride i notice the extreme wobble in the front like msla465 had said. I wonder if mine was at the dealership for awhile before it was sold cause i would think it would have the new parts in it. It shouldnt wobble like that right?

·
Registered
667 Posts
no it should not wobble.take it back to the dealer,sounds more like a tire or wheel problem.have them check for open recalls on it then.

N

·
0 Posts
Yikes, I just bought a brand new '09 Sportsman 550 XP. I only have about 40 miles on it at this point. However, I already took it in to the dealer because it seemed like it was pulling to the right. They said it was a simple alignment. To me it seemed like the handle bars were pointed slightly to the right. It's better now but, I think the bars are still not straight. Should I be concerned???

·
Registered
106 Posts
Could be alignment, your issue would be more related to toe in adjustment. One side being adjusted more one way than the other. I would definately keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
ok so what all do they replace under the recall my upper ball joints are shot????

1 - 20 of 23 Posts