Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2009 Polaris Sportsman 550XP that has had a problem with the shifter sticking since the day I bought it new. With engine idling, the shifter will stick most of the time when shifting up or down. It'll stick going from P to H, H to L, R to P, etc, etc. And when I mean stick, it will reach a point where it binds up and I have to shift the other direction then back again, often multiple times to get it to go. It is so bad, that after only ~500 miles total riding, the aluminum Bellcrank15T (last part of shift linkage) completely stripped. Also, even when I can get it to shift, it is very hard to get it into Neutral. When the engine is OFF, I can shift up and down with no sticking at all.

The original Polaris dealer looked at it before first service (~10 hours) and told me to give it more time and that it'll work itself out eventually. Then they went out of business right before warranty expired!

Another Polaris dealer has looked at it twice. They have done the following:

- Verified proper idle speed (1650+/-)
- Checked both Clutches
- Shimmed clutch
- Replaced ASM Clutch One-Way (#1322809)
- Spoke to Polaris Rep - no useful info on this problem

The result -- no improvement, or if anything, maybe even a little worse. That dealer is completely stumped at this point.

- UPDATE 9/1/2011 -- I replaced belt with Dayco XTX2244, only MINIMAL improvement

I just want the dang thing fixed -- any ideas????

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
WELCOME!

Sorry for the difficulties!!!

What is the idle set at? they must have checked, but how is the linkages? I mean things can get bent and worn fast with hard use. Sounds like things are near forced to work... that could be bending wearing things making the situation worse... I would also look at the linkages.

My own machine was kinda difficult to shift until I changed all fluids... BIG difference since the change!! Has your fluids been changed yet?

CW

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Had the same issue with mine. Had to rebuild the primary clutch. When finished the problem was almost fixed. I then had to replaced the belt. It had uneven wear after the issue. Try replacing the belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
CW, thanks for the response! We checked the idle and it's at spec - 1650+/-. Also, I've looked at the linkage and it's fine - also, it shifts fine when engine OFF and I would think a linkage issue would be felt there too. I also verified that that BellCrank15T is on properly - it's notched so only one way to put it on. Fluids have been changed, no improvement. I noticed this problem literally the day we bought it as I was about to back it off the trailer for the first time. So the problem is not originally from wear or hard use, although it seems to be getting worse over time.

Thor, thanks for the info! When you had your problem, was the shifter just "stiff" or did it bind up like I've described? I've seen others (including my '07 800 X2) that started out a little stiff and after a little use and fluid changes it loosened up.

I'm thinking about just changing out the belt first since that seems to be what finally got yours shifting smoothly...my belt is original, now with 80hrs/750 miles. What aftermarket belt would you guys recommend, or would you stick with a factory belt until this problem is isolated?

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
The only way to get mine in or out of gear would be to shut the engine off. Had to start in the gear needed while holding the break.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, that's just about where we're at too! I told my wife last week to just turn it off and on still in gear when we're on the trails...

Thanks again for the info - I'm going to print out your posts and take it to a 3rd dealer...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After talking to Thor, I'm going to take his advice and start with replacing the belt (Dayco XTX). I'll post results in a week or so...

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
I hope it works Paul! Your part will ship tomorrow. Remember what I said. If it does not then take the belt off right away so not to damage it. Also I would suggest testing it before putting the CVT cover back on just in case. Best of luck and tell us how it goes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update after replacing belt

OK, here's what I did today:

A) I removed the original Polaris belt and inspected -- looks like a little extra wear on one side (toward clutch/rear) but not all that bad in my not-so-expert-opinion.

B) I used air compressor to blow out any dust and debris from clutches, but it really looked clean to me to begin with.

C) I replaced the belt with a new Dayco XTX2244 and tested. Problem with "sticking" shifter seemed only slightly better. It still sticks almost every time getting in/out of Low, and most of the time in/out of other gears.

D) So, then I put the original Polaris belt on again. Problem still seemed only slightly better than before doing anything to it today. No difference in shifter sticking between the two belts at this point.

However, here are a couple of additional factoids:

-- With old belt, the machine creeps A LOT when idling in reverse (as in ~1mph if I let it go). With new belt, the machine feels like it starts to creep in reverse -- i.e. I can feel it grab-release-grab-release -- but doesn't really go anywhere. Similar if idling in Low, but not nearly as much.

-- Shifter "sticks" more often if I shift while holding the brake (both old and new belts). Shifter never sticks if engine OFF.

Any idea what to try next?

Paul

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Sounds like the primary is not releasing. There is a one way bearing that may be locking up. After some time it will fuse to the primary if not fixed. That is what happened to mine. After replacing it it was almost better. Just would creep. When I replaced the belt all was fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe that's what the dealer replaced a few weeks ago -- paperwork says replaced "ASM Clutch One-Way (#1322809)"

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
These are the parts needed to get the job done on mine. (2) 7556335 (1) 1322809 (1) 3514492 (1) 5437682

1 - 14 of 14 Posts