Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a problem. The 09 700 Ranger is making a noise that I thought was transmission. Upon removal and dismantle of the trans. I found no problems inside. OOOOK! I then removed the rear diff. assy and dismantled it. No fault found. The oil's in both were clean and free of any metal filings.
This noise happens on acceleration, deceleration, and some times at steady slower speeds around 15 to 20 mph. This noise is worse when climbing a hill forward or reverse. I took the vehicle to the local Polaris dealer and was told bad c/v or possible drive shaft slack. I removed both rear axles and dismantled both. The lt. rear c/v had a slight amount of slack and you could feel wear with your finger when you rub the shinny surface the balls ride on. The rt. shaft looked ok and had less slack. I took both dismantled axles to the dealer. The tech that drove the Ranger said "Yes there is wear on the lt. axle but wasn't sure if it was causing the noise we heard the day before." I replaced the inner c/v joint, both boots and new grease on the lt. shaft and both boots and grease on the rt. Upon test drive the noise changed to a lesser clack/nash but is still there. I am a little gun shy now and need some input from others of you that may have experienced the problem.
Another check I made was with my stethoscope while neeling on the seat and the bed tilted so I could ride and listen at the same time. I had a buddy drive and I listened to the operating parts. The most noise comes from the transmission at the driven clutch. Less noise at the out put shafts for both drive shafts. No abnormal noise at the rear diff assy. HELP!!!:motz:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MMMMMM!!!! 27 views and no posts. Just my luck! At this point I think I will drive it till something breaks and then fix it! :dunno:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hmm idk about that.
My 09 Ranger xp 700 has a clinging sound in the trans. Sounds like a broken spring. Have yet to open it up. Still drives fine, for now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UP DATE! I decided to do a shot gun repair. That is to say start replacing parts until the noise is gone. I ordered a new rear propeller shaft and installed it. still have the noise. When test driving it after the propeller shaft was installed I noticed that when at speed (20 mph) and letting off the gas on a down hill coast, the noise would appear and make a ratchet noise and then go away while coasting. I read some where some of these ATV's have an engine brake designed into the drive converters. Could the converter or clutch be making this noise? I may use another ATV's converter for a test on this idea.

·
11,138 Posts
As far as tranny and differentials, you can usually tell if something is wrong there by draining the oil into a clean white container such as cut off milk jug or gallon oil jug and inspecting closely rather than a full dis-assembly.

Have you checked all wheel bearings closely? When they get dry/rusted they can make some pretty good noise but still function for a long time.

Dry/rusted u joints can also make strange noises.

As for the clutches, periodic removal inspection and cleaning should be a part of regular maintenance and could be the source of your noise but would usually be accompanied by operation problems like hard shifting, dragging, etc.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts