Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's,

Been having an issue for a while now with engine studder or engine dieing under light throttle. Normally this occurs during deceleration during a decent or tight trails. Any of the rest of you having this issue, or have some thoughts? Unit has 65 hrs and about 350 miles on it, already had the selector sw. replaced for failure, 50 hr service, and steering recall completed.

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
667 Posts
BILL
did you adjust your throttle cable? common problem to be out with the xp. are your battery bolts tight? another common one for the xp, add a drop of blue loctite to them. may need to take to a good dealer to hook up to digital wrench for adjustments.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
BILL
did you adjust your throttle cable? common problem to be out with the xp. are your battery bolts tight? another common one for the xp, add a drop of blue loctite to them. may need to take to a good dealer to hook up to digital wrench for adjustments.
Yep, that stuff is all good. Haven't checked the trottle cable though, it actually dies while under light throttle so not sure what adjusting the cable will do? It's had this problem since I got it in Sept. Taking it back to the shop this week though. One guy mentioned a service bulletin on the filter or canister located on the right top side next to air filter canister, heard anything about that issue? Really tired of this.:nada:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, had it in the shop all week now, found several issues:
  1. Dealer said spark plugs were fouling, this caused the engine studder.
  2. Found Bad A-Arm bushings in left front causing a knock when you hit a bump. Parts on order.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem with my '09 850 XP: when I let off the throttle the check engine warning indicator lights up and it bogs down to a stall. It starts back up OK but then stalls again within a few minutes. I'd like to avoid a trip to the dealer if possible... could changing the plugs resolve the problem?
Also if you know offhand what type spark plugs you're using I'd be interested. Polaris recommends Champion REA8MCL but I've read of some riders getting better performance with NGK Iridium ILZKAR7A10.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah did you ever find out your real problem? i have a 550 Xp and it will run great for about 2 min and then it will stall unless I hold the troutle but it still run poor. If I shut it off and let it set for a min and then restart it run good for another 2 min and then won't run/ thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wish ya'll the best of luck getting the Dealers to fix your Pplaris. Ive got a 2010 Ranger 500, thats had the same issue since i first took the test drive before i bought it, and it died, and they said that it had been sitting for awhile.... 2 years later, still does it, after close to 10 trips back to the dealer, 2 diffrent dealers in all. Nither have fixed the issue, said they cant get it to repeat the problem, yet, it dies on us all the time. Runs just fine riding around, but alot of times, when coming to a stop, or idling, it runs rough and dies. Very frustrating. Good luck to all!!!!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
what gas do yall run 87 89 93 mine did that a few times changed to ngk s and 93 gas and do not let it set and run for long time they idle rich and will file plugs

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
you may check the plug in the muffler for carbon see if plug has a build up on it you may need to run some carbon cleaner

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Have the same problem with my 2012 xp. After hours of trouble shooting i figured out that it was in the throttle control. To see if it's the same issue as i'm having, open the throttle control and remove the screw holding it all in place. Remove one of the grey wires out of it's spot. Re-assemble your throttle while leaving one of the grey wires out of it's spot. This is what i've done and the problem has stopped. Not sure what that means. I think it has to do with the TPS. Back to the dealer tommorow.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The gray wires are a safety to stop the bike if it was to go wide open when you are not on the gas like if a tree or stick pulled the cable it will stop or kill the bike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good to know, thanks!! The code i was getting was saying that it was stuck wide open so it makes complete sense. Not a big deal if i leave them off then. whats your opinion on what the problem is?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
What rpm does it idle at if its to high that is it or if the cable is to tight that will do it you should be able to move the throttle lever about a 1/4" before the rpms goes up

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The TPS has a set voltage that it reads a idle and if the voltage is to high the computer thanks the throttle cable is stuck the TPS may need a adjustment to lower the voltage

·
Registered
7 Posts
For the most part it idles at 1150 to 1200 which is where it usually idles. Once in a while the idle goes up to 16 to 1700. I dont believe it's the throttle cable, i set it today, it was a bit off but nothing serious, no kinks, it's not sticking or catching in anything. When the check engine light is off, which is usually for a minute at the most it works fine.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
First off, Chumpion plugs are chit!!! I'd go NGK'S, they work much better! That switch at the throttle is a major source for these type of problems. I totally deleated that thing on mine. Learn where the kill switch is if your worried about a "run away".

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Sounds like a bad TPS thenthe voltage is going up and down it only takes. 5 volts to do it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts