Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience in changing the inner, left, front, CV boot? Mine is torn.
From what I see I will need to remove the front tire and hub.... by removing the ball joints and tie rod end. Then the axle will pull out of the front diff.
Do the repacement CV boots small end stretch over the u joint?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You should not have to remove the tie rod, but you might have to loosen the bottom shock mounts. You will have to remove the outer closest to the wheel CV joint and boot to get the new one on and then put the old boot on and tap the Cv joint back on to the axle. Make sure you pack that thing back up with grease. The outer CV joint is easier to tap off the axle than the inner one. There are small snap rings that hold the inner and outer CV joints in place. In most cases you can re-use the CV boot clams, and the tool is not needed. you can use needle nose plyers, but the tool is a little easier to use but will cost you $40 to $60 dollars. there is some good videos on U-tube on how to Change the CV boots on an ATV. you might want to check it out. Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I did view some of the youtube videos on CV boot replacement and I think I have a better idea of what to do.
I just hope that it goes well.
My dealer here in Canada has not sold one yet I guess I am the first one. They do not stock it so it is on order. 50.00cnd dollars I thought is a little excessive.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anymore tips? Like what I have to take apart in order to remove the shaft?

·
Registered
27 Posts
First remove the wheel then the castle nut with the cotter pin. Remove the wheel hub,
remove the bottom bolt on the A arm, this has a cotter pin also. you will probably have to lossen the bolts on the bottom of the shock to get the wheel hub to move. pull down on the axle to get the shaft out of the hub. then you can give the axle a good tug and it should come out with no problems. good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts