Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High everyone, new to the forum and wanted to let everyone know so far I love my 850. Just a couple of issues giving some concern.

When we get in deep mud or water, (not snorkle depth it ain't a sub) I've started noticing an engine stutter sort of like when in reverse without the overide button pressed. Any thoughts? also when climbing out of a creek bed the other day I heard a loud pop in the left front, only once and haven't seen or noticed anything unusual since.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Air intake is at the top of where the old sportsman fuel tank was located. It's very high in the chassis, I suppose it could be some steam getting trapped in that area it is right above the engine and cylinder head.

·
Registered
111 Posts
High everyone, new to the forum and wanted to let everyone know so far I love my 850. Just a couple of issues giving some concern.

When we get in deep mud or water, (not snorkle depth it ain't a sub) I've started noticing an engine stutter sort of like when in reverse without the overide button pressed. Any thoughts? also when climbing out of a creek bed the other day I heard a loud pop in the left front, only once and haven't seen or noticed anything unusual since.
Engine sputter without the override pressed is normal.....mine does the same.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, RPM limiter in reverse is normal for as far back as I can remember. It should not do it in L or H range ever, and that is the issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with the steam theory.

As far as the loud pop, could it have possibly been a stick or something getting caught in the a-arm and then popping loose? I've had that happen before, no big deal.

Also, I'm sure you do this already, but just as a reminder. Since my sp pretty much lives in the mud/water, I've gotten in to the habit of greasing the a-arms, and changing all oil often and popping the top off the airbox to make sure no water has gotten in (mainly it's a double check of the snorkel system I built).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After our last ride I noticed the display for gear selection acting up. Shows 2 dashes when in low range, and shows to be in low range when actually in high. Thinking the gear selector sw. shorted or broken internally. Any chance this could be causing some of the engine stutter issues since, the ECM doesn't really know which gear it's in?

·
Registered
667 Posts
sounds like water in the switch connector or the switch is toast. read about this before on H/L but there site is down now for some reason and i cannot remember the fix.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts