Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 Sportsman won't shift when it is running. I can MAKE it shift, but it feels like its going to snap the shifter in half. I can kill the engine and it shifts fine. It has 25 hrs and 200 miles. Any thoughts on what is wrong?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Our 2005 Sportsman 400 was similar.... hard to shift when running. I cleaned the clutches out with an air nozzle, cleaned the clutch sheaves with scotch brite and replaced the belt with a new OEM ($55-60'ish). It made it shift 80-90% better then it was.... not as smooth as the newer 2012 800, but far better then it had been.

It's also a good idea to inspect your motor mounts (for broken ones), as this can cause a miss allignment while running... making it hard to shift. Or a clutch miss allignment can too, check allignment if you have the tool or one is available.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Idle to high, damaged or worn belt, dirty broken clutch, damaged or missing motor mounts are all causes for hard shifts or creeping.

·
Registered
900 Posts
It's hard to shift gears because the drive belt is turning and making your tranny gears turn too. Your belt is turning because it's touching one side of your primary clutch. It needs to run in the center of your primary clutch. If you have an EBS clutch , you may have a bad one way bearing, which would make your belt want to turn.
Take the clutch cover off , start the engine and watch your belt at idle. Your belt is probably moving and it shouldn't be. Cleaning , adjusting belt position with a shim on the rear clutch or motor mount replacing or repositioning. Hard shifting is a very common problem.You may even have broken clutch parts....Let us know what you find....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts