Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and read a million posts on here about the different problems with carbs but i havent found the right one apparently so sorry if this is a repeat question.

My stock quad sat in the garage for almost a year (deployed) and had gas in it so of course came home and didnt even bother starting it, went right into cleaning the fuel system. have everything clean and put back together and it starts right up up (after pulling it back off and re-cleaning the carb) my issue is when i start to press the throttle it bogs down to the point it is 50/50 if i can get mid range to keep it running without it just dieing.
Everything i have read tells me this is an air fuel screw (pilot) needing to be adjusted because it is running rich but only about 1/8th into the throttle but it is bad enough that bringing it out of that state is a pain. I saw a post talking about removing the brass plug they put on the screw hole so is that something i need to do and adjust it? What else would cause that? I have checked everything i can think of from choke out of adjustment, cleaned the hell out of it, idle screw adjustment (have it idling @1100 ish RPMS), air filter, spark plug and every other piece of info i have came across.

I have had this carb apart 3 times now and i am at the point of taking it in to have someone else do it but figured i would give her one more shot with help from you folks.
Glad i found the site, TONS of good info on here and thanks for everyone sharing the knowledge! Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Good morning and WELCOME!!! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!

Sorry to read, these kinds of problems are COMMON when people do not treat the fuel and leave it in the machines unused. You have two choices.
1) the first can be problematic and I do not advise... thats running the carb dry. Doing that on some models its a frustrating venture getting it running again.
2) The second is a good fuel additive to combat the negatives of todays fuels. I prefer Sea Foam. Mostly because it does not JUST treat the fuel. It also reverses the problems found when leaving fuel in the carbs for long periods of time. I like 1oz per gal for preventative and 3oz (or more) per gallon for problem carbs like yours.

It may take a tank or two but it will get to all the places you likely missed with your rebuild/cleaning. Now of coarse this will not fix mechanical problems, but as you have said it was fine before you where deployed and upon your return...not so much. ;)

CW

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You need to CAREFULLY drill out the brass plug that is hiding the mixture screw, then remove the screw and clean that passage again. You can't get it clean with just removing the pilot jet. Before you remove it, turn it in till it bottoms out lightly and count the number of turns. Then reset to the same point when reinstalling it after cleaning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcomes and advice.

Yeah refuse to put fuel in my stuff now without putting the treatment, will look at the Seafoam as i have heard others say it is a little better choice.

Will look more closely at the how-tos on removing the plug just to make sure i don't screw it up. Thanks again all. Will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Want to say thanks to all. The pilot jet was nasty! got it pulled apart and cleaned really good and back together. The quad fired right up and no bogging down off idle! Am keeping a close eye on it as at one point it acted like it wanted to run lean but i am guessing that it was just getting low on fuel as i didn't have the tank mounted and just hooked the lines up and i think it wasn't getting enough fuel. after getting everything put together fired it up again and she was running normal. Thanks again for all the posts that educated me and those that helped here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[email protected]@#[email protected]#$, That being said, this thing is killing me. The carb is nice and clean. will run for 5 mins or so and once warmed up it just dies. had it running and drove it off the truck and around the area and stuff checking it out and everything was fine. got off it and let it idle while i loaded tree stands on it and then it died and wouldnt start again. not sure what is going on, any advice????
Had a guy look at it and did the same thing to him. Ran fine then all the sudden died. what would cause this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts