Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over heating prob..
HOT-Check Engine light will flash. The fan does not automatically engage.
Rad is clean! fan works i check it last night..
if i unplug the sensor in the rad and put the 2 wires together should the fan come on?
is there anything else i can check?

thanks,

·
10,343 Posts
If you bypass the thermal sensor fan should run anytime key turned on. I found one on ebay for about $30 for my friends older sportsman...don't know about newer model price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. So i unplug the sensor and put a wire in to complete the circuit turn the key on then the fan comes on. So does this mean i have a bad sensor?
or could it be something else?

thanks!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Well thats good...so you know the fan works,only 2 things could be bad fan switch or temp sensor...aslong as your getting the correct resistance out of the connectors from the ECT circuit to both sensor and fan switch then you bet one is bad...but it sounds like the Radiator fan switch is bad.....either way if its under warranty they should cover it.....Muddie49

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fan is working fine now!
yesterday when i noticed the problem, i tried spinning the fan with my finger it was stuck. I was only about 5 min from the house so i just went home. So today i heated the engine up until ether the fan or the HOT-Check Engine light came on, but the fan came on so it all good!

thanks,

·
Registered
601 Posts
excellent, i'm glad you solved the problem....Muddie49

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone had issues with this machine vapor locking. I was out riding the other day 95 degrees outside 100+ heat index and when I shut the machine off and let it sit for a couple minutes it would start back up again however when I go to take off it hesitates and sometimes dies. Looking at the vent tube while it is sitting you can see gas bubbling through it, release the cap and it stopps but you can see the vapors escaping the tank. Is this a common issue or is there a way to fix it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
vapor lock

I have a 500 X2 that has vapor lock also, ATV dose not overheat but when I ride in the heat for an hour it stalls out at idle speed and then later just dies and has to cool to get rid of the vapor lock. if someone know a cure I would love to know It. Polaris said they can't fined a problem.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It happened to me when i went up to the mountains with the quad for the first time....it seems when the weather turns hott....gas starts to get hot and just starts to vapor....don't know what you could do...maybe a few more vents in the system...would help it...Muddie49

·
Registered
3 Posts
vapor lock

Thanks for the info I do live in the mountains of NC and it is very hot this summer. I ride My ATV very hard with out a lot of stops. Going to check with local Shop to see if a gas cap vent would help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts