Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks in advance for replies,
I have recently purchased a used 2009 sportsman 500HO which wont engage the rear drive until it reaches around 3400 rpm. It has a roller helix on the driven clutch with a black spring from aaen. As far as I know the drive clutch is factory with a green spring and what appears to be factory weights. I drove a friend of mines 2013 sportsman 500HO and it engages around 2200 rpm. ANY suggestions or advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Primary clutch OEM spring is blue with a green stripe. You may have an aftermarket one if its green.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've replaced the belt and it engages around 3000 but still seems hesitant in comparison to the newer 500 I rode

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
My 2010 engages at about 1800 with a clutch kit in and was at about 1600 stock.

Like I said before, green primary spring is not stock and could be leading to your elevated engagement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks again for the input, I just ordered a clutching book from aaen. also I just read an article on here that was posted by cw, a lot of help. Im going to try a softer spring. Ill keep you posted

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
thanks again for the input, I just ordered a clutching book from aaen. also I just read an article on here that was posted by cw, a lot of help. Im going to try a softer spring. Ill keep you posted
That is a great post, read it before I did my own clutch kit. Look forward to hearing how you make out.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
That is a great post, read it before I did my own clutch kit. Look forward to hearing how you make out.

What is the post titled?

·
Registered
422 Posts

What is the post titled?
This one?? http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/atv-performance-modifications/20841-cvt-clutching-101-a.html

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Unless you have a binding issue in the primary it is the weights or spring, or combo of them in the primary that sets your engagement rpm. If you are going to be buying different springs and weights my suggestion would be to get a complete clutch kit designed for your machine and its use instead of just swapping stuff out hoping to get it right. My bet is you have a stiffer primary spring than stock installed currently.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts