Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an 09 550XP that has a weird issue when I start it cold it will run for 10 - 20 seconds or so then dies. It does this 2-4 times then runs fine. It runs fine warm or even starts fine when its warm it only does this when the engine is cold. When you turn the key on you can hear the fuel pump run and shut off like it's supposed to. Any ideas would be helpful I don't want to spend a bunch of money on parts not needed lol

·
Registered
13,346 Posts
When was the valve clearance last checked?

Fuel pump may be failing or you might have a pool of water absorbed alcohol that has separated from the gasoline on the bottom of the fuel tank. When warmed, it can vaporize a small content of aqua-alcohol and run fine, but when cold, the water does not vaporize completely and puts the fire out. Or it might be a dirty fuel filter or a faulty spark plug or a failing ignition system or something else entirely.

Dealers have a software they use to diagnose fuel and ignition system problems. If you have access to the program, run the diagnostics and address the issues disclosed by the diagnostics. It might just need the cold start fuel mixture tweaked which just requires a slight change in the EFI program.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When was the valve clearance last checked?

Fuel pump may be failing or you might have a pool of water absorbed alcohol that has separated from the gasoline on the bottom of the fuel tank. When warmed, it can vaporize a small content of aqua-alcohol and run fine, but when cold, the water does not vaporize completely and puts the fire out. Or it might be a dirty fuel filter or a faulty spark plug or a failing ignition system or something else entirely.

Dealers have a software they use to diagnose fuel and ignition system problems. If you have access to the program, run the diagnostics and address the issues disclosed by the diagnostics. It might just need the cold start fuel mixture tweaked which just requires a slight change in the EFI program.

Good luck
I never thought of something like that, I don't have access to the program but will check into it thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts