Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Problem- once the ATV is put into AWD it will not come back out and stays lit up on the dash and acts like it is in the down-hill 4x4, the ATV tries to stop me with the front wheels and makes a deep clunky grinding noise (not like gears grinding) but like mud tires rubbing.

*We are able to get it out of AWD by pulling the fuse (muti-switch) which seems to reset the entire machine and the front tires will disengage, but once put back in to AWD it is stuck on again.

*I completely removed the AWD switch and cleaned the terminals for the harness and the inside slides. With no success.

* I tested the wires to the transfer case and it shows that it has ground and 12v down to the transfer case (hence the reason the 4x4 is engaged), the ground will be lost at the transfer case once AWD is pushed to 2x4 and the fuse is pulled and the ATV is re-started. It seems like the computer is not breaking the ground even when the switch is turned to 2x4 unless the computer has its power taken away to be reset?? The transfer case seems to be working fine when the ground is taken away like it seems the machine is suppose to. Even if I unplug the harness to the transfer case it will come out of 4x4.

:damnit:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have to add that it will come out of 4x4 and come off the dash just by turning off the wheeler and restarting it with the switch back in 2x4. So i guess i didnt need to be pulling the fuse.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It almost sounds like your ADC fluid needs changing. Do the diff fluid as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea i have read a lot about that, but it seems odd that when i go into regular 4x4 it goes into that down-hill mode instead. I guess its worth a try before i have to pay to bring it in to a shop.
Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sounds like your chassis relay is bad or the terminal block is corroded .. Check those and your ground spots

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went ahead and swithed the relay with another one, all connections were good and clean.. Still no change, so i went ahead and flushed the ADC fluid and at first had no change, but i took it out in the snow and kinda beat on it some and it started to come in and out of 4x4 with the switch, so either the fluid worked or a little beating worked----at least so far, the problem now is who knows if its fixed or if it will start acting up again in a week... Thanks for the input on this i keep my fingers crossed!!
:motz:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would say you have dirt in the diff and that changing the fluid and beating on it loosened it up. I would change it again and see if its dirty again. If you can flush it out a bit as well

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok since im new to this wheeler,,, Some NEW news with this thing is it seems to be going in and out of 4wd now but when i go into AWD it is always acting like i have the ADC turned on , as soon as i let off the gas and the wheeler slows down the front end dives and makes the grinding noise like the ADC kicked in to slow me down... So now what???

·
Registered
417 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the adc ? Second I would jump out the wiring harness at the handlebar switch. That switch could be shorting causing all your problems

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure how to disconnect it other than unhoking the the front harness,, is there another way?? (it does go out of the ADC when in 2x4) Also what would i be jumping on the switch? Do you mean try to jump it into just the regular 4x4?

·
Registered
417 Posts
from what your saying the ADC is kicking in when the selector switch is in the 4x4 mode and the 4x4 decent mode via the selector switch. ADC works when 3 conditions are met.
under 15mph. not pushing the throttle. the AWD switch is set too ADC operation.. in theory if your throttle position switch isnt closing threw out the operating range and your Selector switch is bad your machine would kick in the ADC anytime your under 15mph .. So it sounds too me like you need too adjust your throttle cable and check your switch output with a volt meter. go down too your front gear-case coil and the 4 pin connector. The BRN/WHT wire is Negative and the GREY is positive. with the ignition on and start switch set too run. ATV in Neutral and switch set too 4x4 check and see if you have 12VDC .. it should be 0-VDC Then select 4x4ADC there should now be 12VDC at the two wires. if you have 12 VDC when your switch is just in 4x4 mode then your switch is likely bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:flowers1:Ok that makes sense i will give that a shot and see what i get,,, I cant imagine i could be so lucky to have a bad switch.... I sure hope thats all it is.but there sure isnt much to the insides of that switch. Thanks!!!!!!!! I will post what i find out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am having the same issues were u able to figure out what was the problem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts